If you need access to Collection Manager (the Metadata tab in the WorldShare interface), follow the steps to Create a Collection Manager account.
OCLC cataloged collections. If your library does not have a cataloging subscription, see Options for libraries without a cataloging subscription. Use the instructions below for information specific to this provider.This provider has
Collection names and IDs
There are many collections in the global WorldCat knowledge base. Use the collection data in the table to help you find the relevant collections.
|Collection name(s) for searching||Collection ID(s) for searching|
|JoVE Journal: Behavior
JoVE Journal: Biochemistry
JoVE Journal: Bioengineering
JoVE Biological Sciences
JoVE Journal: Biology
JoVE Biomedical Sciences & Clinical Medicine
JoVE Brain & Behavior
JoVE Journal: Cancer Research
JoVE Journal: Chemistry
JoVE Chemistry & Environment
JoVE Core: Chemistry
JoVE Core: Molecular Biology
JoVE Core: Social Psychology
JoVE Journal: Developmental Biology
JoVE Education Unlimited
JoVE Encyclopedia of Experiments: Biology
JoVE Encyclopedia of Experiments: Cancer Research
JoVE Journal: Engineering
JoVE Engineering & Physics
JoVE Journal: Environment
JoVE Journal: Genetics
JoVE Journal: Immunology and Infection
JoVE Core: Biology
JoVE Journal: Medicine
JoVE Journal: Neuroscience
JoVE Research Unlimited
JoVE Science Education: Basic Biology: General Laboratory Techniques
JoVE Science Education: Psychology: Experimental Psychology
JoVE Science Education: Psychology: Cognitive Psychology
JoVE Science Education: Environmental Sciences: Environmental Science
JoVE Science Education: Environmental Sciences: Environmental Microbiology
JoVE Science Education: Psychology: Developmental Psychology
JoVE Science Education: Environmental Sciences: Earth Science
JoVE Science Education: Chemistry: General Chemistry
JoVE Science Education: Chemistry: Organic Chemistry
JoVE Science Education: Chemistry: Analytical Chemistry
JoVE Science Education: Clinical Sills: Physical Examinations I
JoVE Science Education: Basic Biology: Basic Methods in Cellular and Molecular Biology
JoVE Science Education: Clinical Skills: Physical Examinations II
JoVE Science Education: Psychology: Neuropsychology
JoVE Science Education: Psychology: Sensation and Perception
JoVE Science Education: Basic Biology: Lab Animal Research
JoVE Science Education: Chemistry: Biochemistry
JoVE Science Education: Clinical Skills: Physical Examinations III
JoVE Science Education: Clinical Skills: Emergency Medicine and Critical Care
JoVE Science Education: Clinical Skills: Nursing Skills
JoVE Science Education: Physics: Physics I
JoVE Science Education: Physics: Physics II
JoVE Science Education: Basic Biology: Biology I
JoVE Science Education: Psychology: Social Psychology
JoVE Science Education: Basic Biology: Lab Safety
JoVE Science Education: Chemistry: Organic Chemistry II
JoVE Science Education: Chemistry: Inorganic Chemistry
JoVE Science Education: Engineering: Bioengineering
JoVE Science Education: Engineering: Electrical Engineering
JoVE Science Education: Engineering: Mechanical Engineering
JoVE Science Education: Engineering: Chemical Engineering
JoVE Science Education: Basic Biology: Biology II
JoVE Science Education: Advanced Biology: Neuroscience
JoVE Science Education: Advanced Biology: Developmental Biology
JoVE Science Education: Psychology: Behavioral Science
JoVE Science Education: Advanced Biology: Genetics
JoVE Science Education: Advanced Biology: Cell Biology
JoVE Science Education: Clinical Skills: Coronavirus / COVID-19 Procedures
JoVE Science Education: Engineering: Structural Engineering
JoVE Science Education: Engineering: Biomedical Engineering
JoVE Science Education: Engineering: Materials Engineering
JoVE Lab Manual: Biology
JoVE Science Education: Engineering: Aeronautical Engineering
JoVE Science Education: Advaned Biology: Immunology
JoVE Science Education: Advanced Biology: Microbiology
JoVE Lab Manual: Chemistry
Add the collections to your knowledge base
Choose a method to add or create a knowledge base collection:
Choose the instructions that apply to your needs
Get WorldCat MARC records
Record delivery is available both to libraries with and to libraries without an OCLC Cataloging and Metadata Subscription.
Enable MARC record delivery in the institution settings
- Navigate to Settings > MARC Records.
- Select Yes for Enable MARC Record Delivery.
Once you enable record delivery, tabs of settings will appear: Customize Records, WorldCat Updates, Record Delivery, Cataloging Partner Options. You can leave the default settings or customize your records. By default, the following will be included in your records:
Customize your record profile (optional)
Define customizations that will apply across your collections in the Customize Records tab. For additional information, see Configure institution MARC Records settings for knowledge base collections.
- Default and frequently defined record customization
By default, the following fields and data will be included in your records:
- 049 $a: Holding library code (For example: MAIN)
- 590 $a: Provider Name
- 590 $b: Collection Name
Frequently defined record customization:
- 945 $a: Transaction Type – New, Updated, Deleted
- 740 $a: Collection-level notes. Note: If you map collection-level notes to a field in your records, remember to add a note within one or more of your collections.
Knowledge Base Collection 856 Field:
- Add Subfield: z
- Enter Free Form Text: Click here for access (Your 856 links will include $zClick here for access)
Enable collection-level record setting
Search for the collection and open it. Expand the Holdings and MARC Records accordion.
- Choose Use institution setting: [Your institution settings will be displayed here].
After you enable record delivery in the collection, you will see the following tabs of settings: Customize Records, Record Delivery. You can leave the default settings or configure collection-level settings.
Configure collection-level settings (optional)
Define collection-level settings if desired. Listed below are some frequently used settings. For additional information, see Enable record delivery within your collection.
- Configure separate file delivery
Many libraries choose to have their file of records delivered in a separate file. To configure separate file delivery:
- Click on the Record Delivery tab and find the Delivery File Output settings. Select Deliver records for this collection in a separate file.
- Enter a name to help you recognize your file. The file name will follow a format such as: metacoll.[XXX].new.D20160214.T210512.[YourFileName].1.mrc
- Exclude records which already have holdings set in WorldCat
This setting acts as a filter to filter out from record delivery titles that you have set holdings on through some process outside of Collection Manager.
By default you will receive a full set of records for the titles in the collection. Your initial batch of records will have a record for every title. The default setting is:
- Include new records already held in WorldCat (default)
If you do not want records for items you already have holdings on in WorldCat, you can choose to have those titles withheld from record delivery. Change the setting to Do not include records already held in WorldCat and you will only receive records that do not already have your holding attached in WorldCat.
If you choose not to have records output for titles you already hold in WorldCat, we recommend that you change this setting back to "Include new records already held in WorldCat" after you receive your first delivery.
- Troubleshoot MARC record delivery
- Are the correct number of titles selected in your collections?
- Once the holdings feed has been processed, the correct number of titles should be selected within one week. Do not select the collection manually unless explicitly directed to do so. Selecting the collections manually will result in a significant delay in processing of your holdings feed.
- Have you enabled MARC records at the institution level?
- Navigate to Collection Manager > Settings > MARC Records and ensure the Enable MARC Records Delivery option is set to Yes.
- Have you enabled MARC record delivery within the collection?
- Navigate to the collection and expand Holdings and MARC Records. Ensure that the Enable MARC Record Delivery option is set to Use institution settings.
- Is the delivery frequency for record delivery set to daily?
- Remember that delivery frequency can be set per collection and this collection-level setting will override the institution-level delivery frequency set under Collection Manager > Settings. If you set your collection to Weekly or Monthly record delivery, then they will have to wait for your first delivery. If you change delivery to Daily, an initial delivery is triggered. After receiving this initial delivery, you can then set it to Monthly or Weekly for on-going delivery of records if necessary.
- Are the correct number of titles selected in your collections?
Manage WorldCat holdings
WorldCat holdings maintenance is available only to libraries with an OCLC Cataloging and Metadata Subscription.
- Navigate to Institution Settings > WorldCat Holdings.
- Set Maintain holdings in WorldCat to Yes.
The collection-level setting for knowledge base collections will be enabled by default. For complete instructions, see Institution Settings, WorldCat holdings.
Use collection data with other services
- Display full-text links and elevate links from a specific provider in WorldCat Discovery
- Deflect lending requests (knowledge base collections)
- Surface your materials in Google Scholar
For more information, see Use collection data with other services.