If you need access to Collection Manager (the Metadata tab in the WorldShare interface), follow the steps to Create a Collection Manager account.
OCLC cataloged collections. If your library does not have a cataloging subscription, see Options for libraries without a cataloging subscription. Use the instructions below for information specific to our provider.This provider has
Verify your collections have not been manually selected
If your institution has manually selected a collection or titles in a collection, OCLC will not overwrite your selections. Before the initial load of holdings from your provider, we recommend that you verify that the collection has not been manually selected.
- Verify that your collections have not been manually selected
Before the initial load of your collections, please:
- Sign in to the WorldShare interface at your library's WorldShare URL https://yourlibrary.share.worldcat.org/wms [Replace yourlibrary with your library's identifier].
- Navigate to Metadata > Collection Manager and locate the search box.
- Uncheck My Selected Collections and search for the collection.
- Once you have returned the collection in a search, perform one of the following:
- If the collection is selected in FULL: You will need to deselect it. Our system will not be able to overwrite the collection with the title data directly from your provider. If you have holdings set in WorldCat, de-selecting the collection will remove these holdings. Holdings will be added after OCLC loads the collection (if WorldCat Holdings is enabled in Institution Settings)
- If the collection is partially selected to reflect a subset of the titles available in the collections: The system will overwrite your title selections and collection data. If you want to preserve the title selections and collection data before OCLC overwrites it, do so before making a request for your collection to be loaded by OCLC. Within your collection, navigate to Titles > More Actions. Use the option to Download titles in local holdings and choose a format to download a spreadsheet of your title data
- If the collection is NOT selected: Proceed to the instructions How to request automated collection loading
Request collection loading
Collection names and IDs
There are many collections in the global WorldCat knowledge base. Use the collection data in the table to help you find the relevant collections. If your collection is not returned when you search within Collection Manager, try entering a root word and an asterisk (*) as a truncation operator. For example: Books at JSTOR*
|Collection name(s)||Collection ID(s)||Demand-driven acquisition collections?||Frequency provider sends OCLC data||Notes about the collection|
|Books at JSTOR Demand Driven Acquisitions||jstor.ebookspda||Yes||Weekly||Please verify that your collections have not been manually selected and then proceed to request collection loading.|
|Books at JSTOR All Purchased||jstor.ebooks||No||Weekly||Please verify that your collections have not been manually selected and then proceed to request collection loading.|
|Books at JSTOR Evidence Based Acquisitions||jstor.ebookseba||No||Weekly||This collection is available as part of a pilot program. Please contact JSTOR if you are interested in participating.|
|Books at JSTOR Open Access||jstor.oaebooks||No||Weekly||Because this is an open access collection, your institution will have access to the entire collection by default. You can manually select the collection and you are not required to request collection loading.|
How to request automated collection loading
- Use the collection names and IDs as listed and follow the instructions to verify that your collections have not been manually selected.
- Contact firstname.lastname@example.org to request that JSTOR send your collection data to OCLC. Please provide JSTOR with your institution's OCLC symbol.
- The initial feed is typically implemented within two weeks after OCLC receives the feed.
If in the future, your institution gains access to additional Books at JSTOR collections as listed on this page, it is not necessary to contact JSTOR or to request collection loading again. JSTOR will automatically include your collection data in the established feed to OCLC and OCLC will load collection and title changes to your Collection Manager instance.
See if your collection loaded
We recommend that you wait until your collection is available before you proceed so that all of the settings will be available in Collection Manager.
The amount of time it takes for your titles to be available depends on the timing of your request, how often your provider sends data, when OCLC's loads the data, and the place of your institution's data in a queue. The time for the initial loading process varies from about one week to one month.
To see if your collection has loaded in the WorldShare interface:
- Sign in to the WorldShare interface at your library's WorldShare URL (https://yourlibrary.share.worldcat.org/wms [Replace yourlibrary with your library's identifier]).
- Navigate to Metadata > Collection Manager. Do one of the following:
- Navigate to the Activity History and look at the history for your provider. See About the Activity History in Collection Manager for help
- Search for the collection
Configure institution settings
Institution settings apply across all your collections. Use caution as changes might impact other collections. For complete instructions, see Institution Settings.
Navigate to the institution settings:
- Sign in to the WorldShare interface at your library's WorldShare URL. Replace yourlibrary with your library's identifier: https://yourlibrary.share.worldcat.org/wms
- Navigate to Metadata > Collection Manager > Institution Settings.
- Verify that your OCLC Symbol is selected
Collection Manager uses the symbol displayed here to maintain WorldCat holdings and to output records. Verify that your OCLC symbol is selected:
- Navigate to Institution Settings > OCLC Symbol.
- Select your OCLC symbol if it is available in the interface but is not selected.
- Click Save.
Proxy and Authentication
- Enter your proxy information
Collection Manager helps you manage patron access to materials by directing off-campus patrons through your proxy server. Collection Manager will prepend your proxy information to catalog links. Enter your proxy information:
- Navigate to Institution Settings > Proxy and Authentication > Proxy.
- Select Proxy:
- None (default)
- III WAM Proxy
- Base URL
- EZproxy users: Enter your Base URL. Example of a EZproxy base URL: http://ezproxy.oclc.org/login?url=
- IIIWAM Proxy users: Enter the Hostname. Example of a III WAM Proxy hostname: sys.lib.proxy.edu
Caution: Do not include a space after the Base URL.
- Enable emailed reports
Reports will be available via email around the time when files of records have been output and/or after there are changes to your holdings in WorldCat. Enable emailed reports:
- Navigate to Institution Settings > Reports.
- Select Yes to Receive Email Reports.
- Enter your cataloging authorization or an admin code. This is a 9-digit number starting with 100. Only one authorization code is needed per institution.
- Select the Report Types you wish to receive.
- To find details about the content of each report type, see Understanding emailed reports.
- Enter the Email Address(es) the reports will be sent to. If you are adding more than one email address, separate each email address with a semi-colon (;).
- Modify the Report Format and Receive as settings if needed.
- Click Save.
For more information, see Reports.
Choose the instructions that apply to your needs
Get WorldCat MARC records
Record delivery is available both to libraries with and to libraries without an OCLC Cataloging and Metadata Subscription.
Enable institution settings
To enable record delivery in the institution settings:
- Navigate to Settings > MARC Records.
- Select Yes for Enable MARC Record Delivery.
Customize records (optional)
Once you enable record delivery, tabs of settings will appear: Customize Records, WorldCat Updates, Record Delivery, Cataloging Partner Options. You can leave the default settings or customize your records. By default, the following will be included in your records:
- 049 $a: Holding library code (For example: MAIN)
- 590 $a: Provider Name
- 590 $b: Collection Name
Frequently used customizations that you can define in the Customize Records tab:
- 945 $a: Transaction Type – New, Updated, Deleted
- 740 $a: Collection-level notes. Note: If you map collection-level notes to a field in your records, remember to add a note within one or more of your collections.
Knowledge Base Collection 856 Field
- Add Subfield: z; Enter Free Form Text: Click here for access (Your 856 links will include $zClick here for access)
For additional information, see Configure institution MARC Records settings for knowledge base collections.
You need to enable record delivery within your collections before records will be delivered. To enable record delivery:
- Search for the collection and open it. Expand the Holdings and MARC Records accordion.
- Choose Use institution setting: [Your institution settings will be displayed here].
After you enable record delivery in the collection, you will see the following tabs of settings: Customize Records, Record Delivery. You can leave the default settings selected. However, many libraries like to have their file of records delivered in a separate file. To configure separate file delivery:
- Click on the Record Delivery tab and find the Delivery File Output settings. Select Deliver records for this collection in a separate file.
- Enter a name to help you recognize your file. The file name will follow a format such as: metacoll.[XXX].new.D20160214.T210512.[YourFileName].1.mrc
For additional information, see Enable record delivery within your collection.
- Exclude records which already have holdings set in WorldCat
Your first MARC file from Collection Manager will comprise records for all of the titles to which your library is entitled for that collection.
However, this initial file may contain records which already have your WorldCat holdings attached. The benefit to receiving new copies of these records is that they will have your vendor’s URL(s) attached and they will reflect the current instance of the record in WorldCat, as well as your current editing preferences.
If you should decide that you do not want to receive these records, you may opt out of getting records which already have your holdings attached.
From the selected collection:
- Expand the Holdings and MARC Records accordion.
- Ensure the Use institution setting option is selected next to Enable MARC Record Delivery.
- Select the Record Delivery tab.
- Select Do not include records already held in WorldCat next to Record Output.
- Click Save.
- Troubleshoot MARC record delivery
- Are the correct number of titles selected in your collections?
- Once the holdings feed has been processed, the correct number of titles should be selected within one week. Do not select the collection manually unless explicitly directed to do so. Selecting the collections manually will result in a significant delay in processing of your holdings feed.
- Have you enabled MARC records at the institution level?
- Navigate to Collection Manager > Settings > MARC Records and ensure the Enable MARC Records Delivery option is set to Yes.
- Have you enabled MARC record delivery within the collection?
- Navigate to the collection and expand Holdings and MARC Records. Ensure that the Enable MARC Record Delivery option is set to Use institution settings.
- Is the delivery frequency for record delivery set to daily?
- Remember that delivery frequency can be set per collection and this collection-level setting will override the institution-level delivery frequency set under Collection Manager > Settings. If you set your collection to Weekly or Monthly record delivery, then they will have to wait for your first delivery. If you change delivery to Daily, an initial delivery is triggered. After receiving this initial delivery, you can then set it to Monthly or Weekly for on-going delivery of records if necessary.
- Are the correct number of titles selected in your collections?
Manage WorldCat holdings
WorldCat holdings maintenance is available only to libraries with an OCLC Cataloging and Metadata Subscription.
- Navigate to Institution Settings > WorldCat Holdings.
- Set Maintain holdings in WorldCat to Yes.
- Now that you have enabled WorldCat Holdings in the institution settings, the collection-level setting for knowledge base collections will be enabled by default.
For complete instructions, see Institution Settings.
Download your files and records using My Files, located under the Metadata tab in the WorldShare interface. You do not need additional credentials to download records from the WorldShare interface. You also have FTP/sFTP options. See Download files with FTP.
To download a file using My Files:
- In the WorldShare interface, navigate to Metadata > My Files.
- Click Downloads.
- Locate the file you want to download:
- In the File Name column, find the file you want to download, or
- Use the Filter by drop-down list to limit the results by file type
- Select Hide downloaded files to hide files that have been previously downloaded.
- In the Action column, click Download. The file will automatically download to your workstation.
For more information, see Download files My Files.
Use collection data with other services
- Display full-text links and elevate links from a specific provider in WorldCat Discovery
- Deflect lending requests (knowledge base collections)
- Surface your materials in Google Scholar
For more information, see Use collection data with other services.
Find additional support materials
Browse Frequently asked questions such as: