Use the Patron Request Workforms screen in OCLC Service Configuration to customize your patron request forms. Patrons can use the patron request forms to request interlibrary loans.
WorldCat Discovery Request Form
For WorldShare Interlibrary Loan libraries, use this screen to customize the WorldCat Discovery Request Form. This request form displays to your patrons in WorldCat Discovery. The image below is an example of the WorldCat Discovery Request Form. The sections of the form are described below.
- 1. Preview
- Once you have configured the form, you can preview how it will appear to patrons. To preview the form, click Preview.
- 2. Section Header
- Use the Section Header to assign a title to the section of the request form. Entering a header can help the patron understand the type of information you expect them to input in the fields contained in the section. For example, you can title a section "About My Request" to inform patrons that the following fields will ask for information about the item being requested. To edit the Section Header, enter a new header into the Section Header field.
- 3. Remove a Section
- Use the Remove a Section button to remove the section. You will not be asked to confirm the removal of the section. Before clicking the button, make sure you want the section to be removed. To remove the section, click Remove a Section.
- 4. Move a section
- The arrows allow you to change a section's position on the form. Arrows will only appear in the directions you can move the sections. To move the section up on the form, click the up arrow (). To move the section down on the form, click the down arrow ().
- 5. Field
- The fields you select determine what appears on the request form. If you have not configured the form yet, default fields will be selected. Note to Patron field can be reused on the forms. All other fields can only be used once. To add a field, see 11. Add a field to display on this Section. To change a field, click the Field list and select a new field. To delete a field, see 10. Remove (delete) a field. Only the
- 6. Input Type
- The Input Type displays how the patron inputs information into the field. Input type is fixed for each field.
- 7. Field Label
- The Field Label determines how the field is described on the form. Each field has a default field label. Use the field label to provide patrons with a description of the information you would like them to input in the field. For example, Patron Max cost could be relabeled to Max cost I am willing to pay. Field labels are limited to 30 characters. To edit a field label, enter a new label in the Field Label.
- 8. Field Values
- Field Values can be used to enter default text or options that will appear on the form to the patron. For example, you may enter a value for Patron Max cost to let patrons know the maximum amount charged for any item. If the Input Type is dropdown, you can select the default selection from the list, or depending on the field, you can enter your own values to appear in the dropdown. If the Input Type is textentry, you can enter default text in the field.
- 9. Options
- Options allow you to further define the fields on your form. By selecting an option, you can make fields required or editable. Select the Required check box if you want the field to be required. When a field is required, patrons must provide information in the field in order to submit the form. Patrons will encounter an error if they try to submit the form without filling out all required fields. Deselect the Required check box if you do not want to the field to be required. When a field is not required, patrons do not have to fill in the field. Select the Editable check box so that patrons can edit the field. Most fields should be editable. Deselect the Editable check box if you do not want patrons to edit the field. You can enter a value in the 8. Field Values that patrons cannot edit.
- 10. Remove a field
- Use the remove icon () to remove a field from the section.
You will not be asked to confirm the removal of a field. Before clicking the remove icon make sure you want the field to be removed. To remove a field, click the remove icon () to remove a field from the section.
- 11. Add a field to display on this Section
- Use the Add a field to display on this Section button to add another field to the section. To add a field to the section, click Add a field to display on this Section.
- 12. Add a Section
- Use this button to add another section to the form. To add a section to the form, click Add a Section.
- 13. Reset to Standard Form
- Use the Reset to Standard Form button to reset the form to the default (non-customized) version of the form. To reset the form, click Reset to Standard Form.
- 14. Save and Cancel
- Once you have completed editing the form, you can save or cancel your changes. To save the form, click Save. To cancel your changes, click Cancel.
Watch a video
Configuring patron-initiated requests for WorldCat Discovery (8:50)
Learn how to configure patron-initiated ILL requesting for WorldCat® Discovery to allow your patrons to search and identify items, then initiate requests.
Configure Your Patron Request Form
Follow the instructions below to configure your patron request form. For an explanation of each section of the form, see WorldCat Discovery Request Form.
Some points to keep in mind when configuring your form:
- Use the definitions in Patron Section Fields / All the WorldCat Discovery Request Form Fields to create a draft of your form.
- Only the Note to Patron field can be reused on a form. All other fields can only be used once.
- Fields can be grouped into sections under a labeled Section Header to organize the information on the form.
- Sections can be moved up or down at any time by clicking the arrows in the upper right corner of each section.
- Fields can be reordered by removing and adding them in the order that you would like them to appear on your form.
- You can preview your form before you save it to confirm that it will appear to your patrons as you expect.
- Any updates you make to the patron request form will not take effect immediately. Changes will usually appear on the form within 2-3 minutes.
Before you begin: WorldCat Discovery or WorldCat Local Request Form set up
If you want the WorldCat Discovery or WorldCat Local Request forms to function properly, you must first configure the following:
- The Resource Sharing (Any Level) button must be set to WCRS/WS ILL for patron requests in WorldCat Discovery or WorldCat Local to be submitted to WorldShare Interlibrary Loan.
- To configure the button, in Service Configuration, on the left navigation, click WorldCat Discovery and WorldCat Local > Place Hold/Request Buttons.
- On the Place Hold/Request Buttons screen, under Resource Sharing (Any Level), select WCRS/WS ILL from the Type of button configuration list.
- Your institution's IP Addresses must also be entered in Service Configuration so that patrons who are within your IP range are able to access the request form.
- To add an IP address, in Service Configuration, on the left navigation, click IP Addresses > Manage IP Addresses.
- On the Manage IP Addresses screen, click Add.
- In the window, enter an IP address range.
- Click OK.
- Under IP Address Range Attributes, click the plus sign (+) to add an attribute to the IP address range.
- From the first list, select Product.
- From the second list, select WorldCat Discovery.
- Click Save.
- Repeat steps b-h as needed.
- Continue to Customize the patron request form below.
Customize the patron request form
If this is your first time customizing the patron request form, the form will contain default fields. Forms can be customized to include parameters and information relevant to your library. Refer to WorldCat Discovery Request Form for an explanation of each section of the form.
To customize your patron request form:
- In Service Configuration, on the left navigation, click WorldShare ILL > Patron Request Workforms.
- If this is your first time customizing the form, you will see the default form.
- Edit the Section Header or use the default text.
- Under Field, click the field list to select a field.
- Input type is fixed for each field and will change depending on the field you select.
- Optional. Rename the field by entering a new Field Label.
- Use the field label to provide patrons with a description of the information you would like them to enter.
- For example, Patron Max cost could be relabeled Max cost I am willing to pay.
- Field labels are limited to 30 characters.
- Determine whether you would like to apply any of the Options to the field.
- Select the required or editable check box to turn the options on.
- Deselect the check boxes to turn the options off.
- Optional. To remove the field, click the remove icon () at the end of the field line.
- You will not be asked to confirm the removal of a field. Before clicking the icon, make sure you want the field to be removed.
- To add another field, click Add a field to display on this Section.
- Continue adding and editing the fields you want to include until you are satisfied with that section of the form.
- At any time, you can click Preview at the top of the form to view the form as a patron will see it.
- To add another section, click Add a Section.
- Repeat steps 3-10 until you are satisfied with the sections and fields within each.
- Click Preview to confirm that the forms looks as you expect.
- Click Save you save your customizations to the form. Patrons will not be able to see the changes you have made to the form until you save it.
At any time, you can click Reset to Standard Form at the bottom left of the form to return to the default (non-customized) version of the form.
Configure Pickup Location
Configure your form to use your institution's Registry Branches as pickup locations. This configuration allows you to easily identify where to send an item for patron pickup if you have multiple branches.
If configured, when a patron selects a pickup location and submits the request form, either the Branch Location Registry ID or, if the pickup location is not associated with a Registry ID, the pickup location name will be sent as the location. This information stays with the request and is passed to the staff interface. It is also available for use with statistics.
- In Service Configuration, on the left navigation, click WorldCat Registry > Branches and Affiliates.
- To add a branch, click the plus symbol (+) to expand the branch option. You can add new branches by:
Note: If your institution is using WMS, you may find that branches have already been configured.
- On the left navigation, click WorldCat Discovery and WorldCat Local > Holdings Codes & Shelving Location Messages > Holding Codes Translation Table.
- Add a row for each Registry Branch. See Holding Codes & Shelving Location Messages for more information.
- On the left navigation, click WorldShare ILL > Patron Request Workforms.
- Open the WorldCat DIscvoery Request Form.
- Add the Pickup Location.
- Set the Pickup Location field as required/not required based on the desired behavior.
- Click click to view/edit field values. If the field was not previously configured for this form, the Current Locations tab will not contain any values.
- Click the Add Locations tab to choose values. Registry values will appear under WorldCat Registry locations. Select the branches that apply.
Note: To add or edit the Registry institutions, branches, and/or affiliates displayed under WorldCat Registry locations, click the WorldCat Registry link. (Optional) Enter non-Registry pickup locations in the Other locations text box.
- Click Done to add selected WorldCat Registry and/or Other locations to the Current Locations tab.
- On the Current Locations tab:
- Select No selection to allow the form to default with no value or if pickup location will not be a required field.
- Select the value that should be the default. The list will populate in the order shown in Current Locations, but the default value can be any value in the list.
- Click Done to complete the Pickup Location setup.
Note: Be sure to save the workform. Click Preview to see how the drop-down list will appear to patrons using the workform.
Patron Section Fields
The WorldCat Discovery Request Form contains fields that the patron can use to describe themselves or the item they are requesting.
These are all the fields that are available on the WorldCat Discovery Request Form:
|Address 1||Patron's street address|
|Address 2||Other address information, such as Apartment, Suite, etc.|
|Country||Patron's country. Select your country from the list to make it the default setting.|
This field can be customized to allow patrons to select a department they are associated with from a customized list.
|Edition||Allows the patron to select the preferred edition of the requested item from a list (Any, Recent, This).|
|Patron's email address|
|Fax||Patron's fax number|
|First Name||Patron's first name|
|Last Name||Patron's last name|
|Need by date||Allows the patron to enter the date by which the item is needed (in YYYYMMDD format)|
|Note to Patron||
Enter additional information or provide directions to patrons. When displayed to the patron, the field will not begin with the Note to Patron field label. This field can be reused throughout the form.
Provides the patron with a free text field to enter any relevant information about themselves or their request. This field cannot be reused.
Examples of potential patron entries:
|Patron Id||Allows the patron to enter an identification number (library card, student or faculty id, etc.) in a free text field.|
|Patron Max cost||
If your library charges patrons for certain types of ILL requests, this field allows you to ask patrons to provide information about the maximum amount (in US dollars) that they are willing to pay for a particular item. If it is used, the label could be changed to provide patrons with clearer instructions about what information to enter, or a Note to Patron could be added to explain the meaning of this field.
|Phone||Patron's phone number|
|Pickup Location (Maximum 400 branches)||
Allows the patron to select a preferred pickup location from a customized list.
Additionally, locations configured in the WorldCat Registry and added to the Holding Codes Translation Table can be added as the Pickup Location.
For information on how to customize the list, see above, 8. Field Values.
|Postal Code||Patron's postal code (e.g., zip code)|
|Service Type||Allows the patron to select the type of service being requested from the two options in the list (Book/Media-Loan and Article - copy)|
|State/Province||Allows the patron to enter their state. Select your state or province from the list to make it the default setting. Values are available to the United States, Canada, and Australia. A country must be selected if State/Province is included on the form.|
Patron's status (within the library, company, school, etc.), selected from a list of customized statuses.
Patron workform field population
When a patron uses a patron request workform in the Tipasa user portal, some patron data is automatically populated into the workform.
Auto-populated fields include:
- First Name
- Last Name
- Patron ID
Other fields, although they may be present in the patron record, will not auto-populate in the workform. These include:
- Address 1
- Address 2
- Postal Code
- Pickup Location
Keep in mind that you can label fields so that they are more meaningful to your patrons.