Release Date: September 10, 2023
This release of WorldShare ILL provides a number of new features and enhancements in addition to several bug fixes. These features will help you manage more complex workflows, including:
These enhancements are the direct result of your feedback.
For this release, we recommend that you review the following checklists and complete the relevant tasks so that you can adjust your policies and workflows and train your staff. These checklists identify updates that we have determined as significant for most institutions. We encourage you to review all of the items in the release notes to determine whether there are other items that might require additional action or follow up by your institution.
These items require immediate action or decisions.
For best performance, it's very important to clear your browser's cache before starting to work with WorldShare ILL!
If you haven't already, enable the OpenURL-based request form for your library's users:
For more information, see the WorldShare ILL release notes, May 2023.
Be sure to utilize Smart fulfillment functionality, including:
|Have your contact information or lending policies changed? If so, please make the appropriate updates in the OCLC Policies Directory.|
In an effort to keep your staff informed of new features and changes, you may also want to consider these items.
Share these release notes with your colleagues.
If you haven't already, visit the new OCLC Community Center for new ways to connect with OCLC and other community members.
To make the most of the new community structure:
New features and enhancements
For off-system requests, utilize improvements to Days To Respond and printouts
Previously, the number of Days To Respond for off-system requests was fixed as 8 days for copies and 16 days for loans. Now, the Days To Respond is based on the configuration setting for the partner institution.
To set the Days To Respond, go to OCLC Service Configuration > WorldShare ILL > Address Book > Partners. Select the number of days you would like the request to remain with the partner institution from the drop-down menu.
In addition, printouts have been improved for off-system requests. Book straps, stickers, and one-per-page request printouts now include the reference ID for the requester or supplier for the request at the time it is added to the print queue.
For more information, see Off-System Requesting.
Bug fixes and known issues
For a full list of current and recently fixed issues, see Known issues.
To help you become familiar with the new features, enhancements, and improvements included in this release, please attend the upcoming webinar Product Insights: Resource Sharing.
Date: Thursday October 26, 2:00pm, Eastern Daylight Time (Eastern Daylight Time, UTC -04:00)
Please note the session time zones when registering. The sessions will be recorded and archived for future viewing on the OCLC Community Center. Please register, even if you cannot attend, to receive a link to the recorded session.
OCLC Resource Sharing Conference web series
OCLC invites you to view recordings and slides in the community center from the 2023 OCLC Resource Sharing Conference (RSC23) web series. The free, virtual session from RSC23 included:
- Some changes are here to stay: Managing resource sharing in the 21st century | Recording and slides
- RSC23 Lightning sessions - Conducting interlibrary loan user surveys and Training student employees on ILL processing | Recording and slides
- Law, not guidelines: Moving beyond CONTU | Recording and slides
- Exceed your library users’ expectations with your ILL services | Recording and slides
- Lightning sessions- Resource sharing: an Italian perspective, Resource share the love, and Resource sharing trends survey | Recording and slides
- Workshop - Tips to improve staff workflows and users’ experience | Recording and slides
Also, ILL 101 sessions hosted by IDS Project are available at the Online Learning Institute.
Virtual Workshop Series: Learn how to fine-tune your ILL setup
The series included the following topics:
- Part 1: Fine-tune your policies and deflections (recording, slides, and checklist available)
- Part 2: Construct your custom holdings (recording, slides, and checklist available)
- Part 3: Automate your request process (recording, slides, and checklist available)
- Part 4: Curate and care for your constant data (recording, slides, and checklist available)
- Part 5: Make your usage statistics count (recording, slides, and checklist available)