Release Date: October 22, 2023
This release of WorldShare ILL provides features to help staff at libraries with WorldShare Management Services (WMS) to manage more complex workflows, specifically:
- Utilize the enhanced service for circulation integration to keep your circulation and ILL requests in sync
These enhancements are the direct result of your feedback.
For this release, we recommend that you review the following checklists and complete the relevant tasks so that you can adjust your policies and workflows and train your staff. These checklists identify updates that we have determined as significant for most institutions. We encourage you to review all of the items in the release notes to determine whether there are other items that might require additional action or follow up by your institution.
These items require immediate action or decisions.
For best performance, it's very important to clear your browser's cache before starting to work with WorldShare ILL!
If you haven't already, enable the OpenURL-based request form for your library's users:
For more information, see the WorldShare ILL release notes, May 2023.
Be sure to utilize Smart fulfillment functionality, including:
|Have your contact information or lending policies changed? If so, please make the appropriate updates in the OCLC Policies Directory.|
In an effort to keep your staff informed of new features and changes, you may also want to consider these items.
|Share these release notes with your colleagues.|
If you haven't already, visit the new OCLC Community Center for new ways to connect with OCLC and other community members.
To make the most of the new community structure:
New features and enhancements
Utilize the enhanced service for circulation integration to keep your circulation and ILL requests in sync
For libraries with WorldShare Management Services (WMS)
With this release, all WorldShare ILL libraries will be automatically migrated to the newly developed and enhanced circulation integration service.
If your library is not currently using circulation integration, setting it up will streamline the ILL-circulation process. Staff who process ILL loans will no longer need to update WorldShare Circulation manually to create temporary items and patron holds, charge patron ILL fees, check out items that your library is lending, or check in items at the end of the loan period.
If your library is already using circulation integration, you don't need to make any changes to your setup but you will experience the following changes:
- Previously, the temporary circulation item and hold were created when the request was submitted. Going forward, the temp circ item and hold will be created when the item is received. This will alleviate your need to manually delete the circ temp item later if the request is not filled..
- If your patrons use My Account for WorldShare Circulation, the hold for a temporary circulation item previously would display as soon as the request was submitted. Now, patrons will see the hold in My Account only after the requested item is received - and is sure to be filled.
In OCLC Service Configuration, all WorldShare ILL libraries will now see several new options for circulation integration, including lending integration and the ability to charge ILL costs back to patrons. For details on setting up these new options, see WorldShare Circulation release notes, October 22, 2023.
Previously, circulation integration was enabled for WorldShare ILL in OCLC Service Configuration > WorldShare ILL > Interlibrary Loan Options. This setting is no longer displayed in the Interlibrary Loan Options.
Instead, circulation integration now has its own setup page at OCLC Service Configuration > WorldShare ILL > Circulation Integration.
For more information, see WorldShare Circulation Integration.
Bug fixes and known issues
For a full list of current and recently fixed issues, see Known issues.
To help you become familiar with the new features, enhancements, and improvements included in this release, please attend the upcoming webinar Product Insights: Resource Sharing.
Date: Thursday, October 26, 2:00 pm, Eastern Daylight Time (Eastern Daylight Time, UTC -04:00)
Please note the session time zones when registering. The sessions will be recorded and archived for future viewing on the OCLC Community Center. Please register, even if you cannot attend, to receive a link to the recorded session.
OCLC Resource Sharing Conference web series
OCLC invites you to view recordings and slides in the community center from the 2023 OCLC Resource Sharing Conference (RSC23) web series. The free, virtual session from RSC23 included:
- Some changes are here to stay: Managing resource sharing in the 21st century | Recording and slides
- RSC23 Lightning sessions - Conducting interlibrary loan user surveys and Training student employees on ILL processing | Recording and slides
- Law, not guidelines: Moving beyond CONTU | Recording and slides
- Exceed your library users’ expectations with your ILL services | Recording and slides
- Lightning sessions- Resource sharing: an Italian perspective, Resource share the love, and Resource sharing trends survey | Recording and slides
- Workshop - Tips to improve staff workflows and users’ experience | Recording and slides
Also, ILL 101 sessions hosted by IDS Project are available at the Online Learning Institute.
Virtual Workshop Series: Learn how to fine-tune your ILL setup
The series included the following topics:
- Part 1: Fine-tune your policies and deflections (recording, slides, and checklist available)
- Part 2: Construct your custom holdings (recording, slides, and checklist available)
- Part 3: Automate your request process (recording, slides, and checklist available)
- Part 4: Curate and care for your constant data (recording, slides, and checklist available)
- Part 5: Make your usage statistics count (recording, slides, and checklist available)