About full-text links
Collection Manager and the central index data along with your library holdings make full-text linking possible. Add your knowledge base collection data in Collection Manager to connect patrons to full-text.
If multiple titles across different collections have identical URLs, then the knowledge base will de-duplicate these links and only one will display in WorldCat Discovery.
Full-text link display names
In WorldCat Discovery, a button label will display to indicate full-text is available from the knowledge base. The button label is dependent on the format of the link.
See Full-text link display in WorldCat Discovery, Full-text link display names for a list of WorldCat knowledge base formats and the associated display names such as View eBook, View Now, and so forth.
How to display full-text links
In WorldShare Collection Manager:
Add knowledge base collections
- Choose a method to add or create a knowledge base collection to represent your e-resource titles in the WorldShare Collection Manager interface.
- Make sure to enter your coverage information. See KBART values and formatting for information on how to represent coverage information.
Configure institution settings
If you haven't already, configure institution settings and set holdings in WorldCat via the WorldShare Collection Manager interface. See Configure institution settings for knowledge base collections.
Elevate links from specific providers
Use the Display Order setting to change the default order of links patrons can see in search results when they perform a search in the WorldCat Discovery interface. Follow these steps:
- Sign in to the WorldShare interface at your library's WorldShare URL. Replace yourlibrary with your library's identifier: https://yourlibrary.share.worldcat.org/wms
- Click on Metadata and expand Collection Manager.
- Navigate to Institution Settings > WorldCat Discovery. Complete the settings:
- Coverage: [This setting only applies to print serial collections you have added in Collection Manager]
- Display Order: Elevate a vendor's links to appear first in your Discovery interface
To elevate links on a collection-by-collection basis, you can edit the Provider field in the desired collection. You can then determine the order of the links from individual collections by moving the customized provider name up or down in the Display Order list.
When your patrons search your WorldCat Discovery interface, if links are available from multiple sources, the links will appear in the sort order you specified.
Choose the appropriate instructions based on whether or not your content is searchable as a discrete database in WorldCat Discovery. If you are not currently providing OCLC with article level metadata and would like to do so, please contact our Publisher Relations team to initiate that conversation.
In OCLC Service Configuration:
Configure your databases
If you haven't selected the databases that will be available to search in your library's WorldCat Discovery interface, sign in to OCLC Service Configuration and add your databases. Include WorldCat.org in content searched by default.
Enable full-text links
- Sign in to OCLC Service Configuration.
- Navigate to the WorldCat Discovery and WorldCat Local > Full Text and Open Access Links.
- Check Links from the WorldCat knowledge base to full text content. This will automatically select the settings for links to appear on the detailed record and on the brief record on the search results page. If for some reason you do not want links in search results, adjust the Search Results setting.
Create a link to your A to Z list
Optional. Every WorldCat Discovery library has an A-Z list, a patron-facing page that makes it possible to search the knowledge base titles you have represented in Collection Manager.
To create a link to your institution's A-Z list for WorldCat Discovery:
- Sign in to OCLC Service Configuration: https://worldcat.org/config
- Navigate to WorldCat Discovery and WorldCat Local > A - Z List and OCLC Link Resolver.
- Find your Base URL (Version 2). This is the link URL for your A-Z list. An example URL is: http://86474.on.worldcat.org/atoztitles
- Copy your Base URL.
- Navigate to WorldCat Discovery and WorldCat Local > User Interface Options.
- In the Custom Links section:
- Select other as the custom link type and specify your display text.
- Paste the URL for your A-Z list.
Find more information about the A - Z List and OCLC Link Resolver.
Display public notes in your A to Z list
- Add public notes in knowledge base collections
- License Manager libraries can create a template to manage collection-level notes in an automated way.
Test your links
After you enable the option in OCLC Service Configuration to enable full-text links, links will appear in your WorldCat Discovery interface. See Full-text link display in WorldCat Discovery for information about how and where your links will display.
To test your links:
- Open a browser and go to your library's WorldCat Discovery URL.
- Perform a search for an item you know is in your WorldCat knowledge base (that you added or selected in Collection Manager).
- Click the link to test it and see if you can view the full-text item.
Enable the "Report a broken link" form
To enable the "Report a broken link" form in your Discovery interface and see how to use it, see Full-text link display in WorldCat Discovery.
Add, edit or delete grouped OCNs
Configure Google Scholar
See how to configure Google Scholar settings.