Report a broken link to OCLC
Contact OCLC Support with the following information, if you have it:
- Your institution’s name
- OCLC symbol or Registry ID
- URL to the item
- OCLC number of the item, if available
- (Optional) Proxy credentials to access your resources*
*If you are unable to provide test proxy credentials, OCLC might need to conduct a screen-sharing session with your library to troubleshoot.
Report a broken link to library staff
If you enable the "Report a broken link" form so that it appears in your WorldCat Discovery interface and A to Z list, both patrons and library staff can report broken links to your library. See Enable "Report a broken link" and receive emails for more information.
Find instructions on how to Manage broken link reports from WorldCat Discovery.
Caution: OCLC does not receive the emails sent to your library.
Troubleshoot missing or errant links
Verify that full-text links are enabled
Enable full-text links in OCLC Service Configuration:
- Sign in to OCLC Service Configuration.
- Navigate to the WorldCat Discovery and WorldCat Local > Full Text and Open Access Links.
- Check Links from the WorldCat knowledge base to full text content. This will automatically select the settings for links to appear on the detailed record and on the brief record on the search results page. If for some reason you do not want links in search results, adjust the Search Results setting.
Check your settings
Verify settings in the WorldShare interface, Metadata > Collection Manager > Institution Settings.
Open access settings
- Navigate to Proxy and Authentication > Open Access in Resolver.
- Check to see if any of the settings are selected and if so, consider deselecting them.
These selections enable links for all open access collections in the knowledge base. The settings do not set holdings on the titles so the titles will not show as held by your library. However, because of the data quality in open access collections, enabling the options can cause numerous titles with errant links to surface in WorldCat Discovery.
For greater control and granular maintenance of open access content, we recommend that you select individual open access collections in the knowledge base. For instructions, see Add open access content.
Review the Proxy settings checklist. Note that if the title with the errant link is from an open access collection, you might need to disable the proxy setting within the collection's settings in Collection Manager.
- Check your proxy settings for off-campus access
- Navigate to Institution Settings > Proxy and authentication > Proxy.
- Select Proxy:
- None (default)
- III WAM Proxy
- EZproxy users:
- Enter your Base URL. Example of a EZproxy base URL: http://ezproxy.oclc.org/login?url=
- III WAM Proxy users:
- Enter the Hostname. Example of a III WAM Proxy hostname: sys.lib.proxy.edu
Username and Password
(Optional) Enter your Username and Password. Providing username and password information is used by OCLC for de-bugging purposes only.
- See if a provider-specific identifier is needed for links to resolve
- First, see the table below to see if you have a collection from a provider that requires a linking ID. If your provider is listed, continue with the steps below. If you do not know your ID, contact your provider before you proceed:
- Navigate to Institution Settings > Provider Settings.
- Select your provider from the drop-down list.
- Enter the identifier from your provider.
Providers that require an ID Setting is always required Setting is only required when custom linking has been set up with the provider China National Knowledge Infrastructure (CNKI) x CSA x EBSCO A-to-Z x EBSCOhost x EBSCOhost EJS (EBSCOonline) x Factiva x Gale Cengage x Get It Now
WorldCat Discovery libraries configure Get It Now as an unmediated service which allows end users to purchase articles immediately. See How to configure Get It Now (unmediated service) for instructions.
WorldShare ILL libraries configure Get it Now as a mediated service.See Purchasing articles from Get It Now for instructions.
Infobase x IRIS Education x Kanopy x LOCKSS x MD Consult x Naxos Digital Services Ltd x NLM - PubMed x OCLC x OverDrive x Ovid x ProQuest x ProQuest Ebook Central x ProQuest Safari x Psychotherapy.net x Recorded Books x Springer x Teton Data Systems x The HistoryMakers x VIP x
Make sure the correct collection is selected
- Search in Collection Manager. See Tips for using the search field.
- Verify that the correct collection and title is selected in the knowledge base.
Verify the format and coverage
Verify that the title-level format is one that will surface links:
- Journal, Full Text (The following values will not surface links: Print, Selected Full Text, Abstracts, and Indexed. Only Full Text titles will surface links.)
Verify that your coverage information is represented correctly. Coverage can include:
- Dates, Enumerations, or both
See KBART values and formatting for information on how to represent coverage information.
Check title metadata
Verify that there is an OCLC number and that it is correct. Verify that the OCLC number in the knowledge base matches that in the WorldCat record.
Verify that there is an ISSN/ISBN and that it is correct. Verify that the number in the knowledge base matches that in the WorldCat record.
If the Standard Number is incorrect, report it to OCLC Support.
For information about Cooperative Management of the WorldCat knowledge base, see Update title information in existing collections.