Discover how cataloging agents can use field 951.
- Purpose - Field 951 (Group Specific Data) supports processing records for multiple libraries by cataloging agents. Data in field 951 determines which institution holdings are set or deleted and which offline products are generated.
- Validation - Field 951 ‡l (el) must contain valid data before a cataloging agent takes a final action on the record. The system verifies that institution symbols listed in field 951 ‡l are group members for which the agent is profiled.
- Invalid symbol - For an invalid symbol, the system displays a validation error. The error must be corrected before retrying the final action.
Note: Cataloging agents cannot process records for their own institutions using field 049. If the agent‘s group profile includes the agent’s institution, the agent can list the OCLC symbol in field 951 ‡l. Or the agent can log on with another Full cataloging authorization to process the records.
|Field 951||Field 951 is repeatable. Only cataloging agents can enter field 951.|
|Indicators||Both indicators are blank.|
|Subfields||Subfields ‡a–‡k and ‡m–‡z are exported, but otherwise ignored.|
|‡a–‡k User-defined (Repeatable).|
|‡l OCLC institution symbol (Repeatable). Agent enters OCLC symbols for institutions in the group. The system sets or deletes holdings for each institution listed in 951 subfield ‡l.|
|‡m–‡z User-defined (Repeatable).|
|Retention||Field 951 is not retained in WorldCat records or archive records.|
- The command the agent uses determines offline products for the OCLC symbols listed in field 951 ‡l.
- Offline products generated for an institution depend on the institution's profile.
|Produce||Appear in file or on tape if profiled|
|Update||Appear in file or on tape if profiled|
|Delete Holdings||Appear in file or on tape if profiled|
|Save||Saved in agent’s bibliographic save file|
|Export||Exported to a file on agent’s workstation or to agent’s local system|