There are two workflows to link CONTENTdm data to bibliographic records in WorldCat:
- Single-item workflow
- Serials workflow
Preservation archive users have a one-time set-up and ingest steps. See For preservation archive users.
- Add the items/objects to a CONTENTdm collection using either the Project Client or CONTENTdm Administration Web Add.
- Approve and index the collection.
- Set up a profile for the collection in the Digital Collection Gateway.
- The Gateway will synchronize records from your CONTENTdm collection to create WorldCat records with viewonline links back to CONTENTdm.
- See Digital Collection Gateway for information on setting up a profile.
- Set up the OCLC number search in CONTENTdm. For each collection that contains content linked from WorldCat bibliographic records, set up the OCLC number metadata field:
- From collections tab in the CONTENTdm Administration, select fields.
- Select the desired collection from the Current collection dropdown menu and click change.
- Under the Administrative Fields section, select edit on the OCLC number field.
- Required: Ensure the Searchable option is set to Yes.
- Recommended: Set the DC map to Identifier to benefit cross collection search.
- Optional: Set the Hidden option to No. This will display the OCLC number in the item’s metadata view in the end-user interface.
- Click save changes and then Index the collection.
- Add search link in WorldCat.
- In the WorldCat bibliographic record for your series, ensure the 856 field’s $u is set up with a search query URL to CONTENTdm. See Entering viewonline links in WorldCat for serials.
- Note the OCLC number of the record.
- Add items to CONTENTdm.
- If using the Project Client, add the noted OCLC number to the OCLC number metadata field of the item.
- If using CONTENTdm Administration Web Add, add the item first, then edit the item in the Approval Queue where you can add the noted OCLC number.
- Approve and Index the collection.
Entering viewonline links in WorldCat for serials
Enter your base URL, Collection Alias, and the OCLC Number into the URL:
- Example: https://library.oclc.org/digital/collection/p15003coll10/search/searchterm/39271152/field/dmoclcno
For preservation archive users
To store master files in the preservation archive, see CONTENTdm Preservation Archive for more information.
- See Prepare content for submission to the preservation archive using CONTENTdm for the one-time setup for each collection.
- See Packaging and shipping your content to the preservation archive for the ongoing workflow.