- Field 006 - Fixed-length data elements - Additional material characteristics and field 008 – Fixed-length data elements – bibliographic and holdings format
- No image available
- Description of 008 fields in the CBS MARC 21 database.
- 01. Overview on the 006 fields - Fixed-length data elements - Additional material characteristics
- 02. Blanks (hashes) “with a meaning” in MARC 006 and 008 coded data fields
- 03. Field M08A – General Information - Main/master level
- 04. Field M08B – Books - Main/master level
- 05. Field M08C – Computer files - Main/master level
- 06. Field M08D – Maps - Main/master level
- 07. Field M08E – Music - Main/master level
- 08. Field M08F – Continuing resources - Main/master level
- 09. Field M08G – Visual materials - Main/master level
- 10. Field M08H – Mixed materials - Main/master level
- 11. Field C08X – Holdings/LHR/Copy level - All materials
- Field 007 - Physical description fixed field – bibliographic and holdings format
- No image available
- Description of 007 fields in the CBS MARC 21 database.
- 01. Fields 007 on main/master and copy/LHR level
- 02. Blanks (hashes) “with a meaning” in MARC coded data fields 007
- 03. Fields M07A and C07A – Map
- 04. Fields M07C and C07C – Electronic resource
- 05. Fields M07D and C07D – Globe
- 06. Fields M07F and C07F – Tactile material
- 07. Fields M07G and C07G – Projected graphic
- 08. Fields M07H and C07H – Microform
- 09. Fields M07K and C07K – Nonprojected graphic
- 10. Fields M07M and C07M – Motion picture
- 11. Fields M07O and C07O – Kit
- 12. Fields M07Q and C07Q – Notated music
- 13. Fields M07R and C07R – Remote-sensing image
- 14. Fields M07S and C07S – Sound recording
- 15. Fields M07T and C07T – Text
- 16. Fields M07V and C07V – Videorecording
- 17. Fields M07Z and C07Z – Unspecified
Leader (on main, local and copy level), field 006 - Fixed-length Data Elements – Additional Material Characteristics - (on main level), field 007 - Physical Description Fixed Field - (on main and copy level) and field 008 - Fixed-Length Data Elements - (on main and copy level) are used within the CBS MARC 21 format.
But, we have created separate tags for the different material types and we have subdivided those fields in separate subfields within the context of the CBS MARC 21 cataloguing format. So, the fields 006, 007 and 008 don't exist in the CBS MARC 21 format literarally, but the functionality does.
In CBS MARC 21, blanks are indicated by hashes (#). In MARC 21, hashes often mean, but not always "undefined", "unknown", or "unspecified". This is very important to be aware of when coded data is imported, exported or converted.
Especially when data is delivered by a library which has no "MARC 21 background" as far it applies the format of the records, and the format of that library has no fields like Leader or coded data like field 008, then the delivered fields like 008 have been generated automatically probably without checking the values with the "items in hand". This implies that the blanks (hashes) "with a meaning" mean in fact "No attempt to code". Then, the decision can be taken - in cooperation with the library - to remove those blanks (hashes) from the records.
When a tag is filled (almost) completely with no "real" values, i.e. non-alphanumeric values, like hashes, pipe symbols, “unknown”, etc., this may have or will have consequences for the matching & merging process, e.g. in WorldCat.
In this documentation, the expressions “When the value is present” and “When the values are present” mean that only “official” values are allowed. So, the values are checked during the import of records. Only "official" values are accepted; "non-official" values are stored in special fields, so that it possible to convert those to official values at a later stage. (To be implemented April 2021)