Release Date: May 8, 2023
The following release notes are for a MAY 8, 2023 special release of WorldCat Discovery.
WorldCat Discovery May Special Release Highlights
This release of WorldCat Discovery includes configuration for libraries to enable Google Analytics 4 (G4) in WorldCat Discovery.
WorldCat Discovery libraries’ use of (G4) will enable uninterrupted use of Google Analytics when Google stops processing data through its Universal Analytics on 1 July 2023. View details.
Configuration of G4 for WorldCat Discovery will be released to the Third-Party Integrations > Google Analytics (Beta) area of OCLC Service Configuration on 8 May 2023. This will allow you to configure G4 for your library’s WorldCat Discovery site to meet local needs.
You may choose when to move from your current use of Universal Analytics to the new G4 at a time that is convenient for you in advance of the 1 July 2023 sunset date for Universal Analytics.
Include Request ID with problem reports
When reporting an issue with WorldCat Discovery, it is extremely helpful to include the Request ID. The Request ID is found at the bottom of the screen on which the issue occurred. Including this information allows us to directly trace what happened on the request we are troubleshooting.
Create a Google Analytics account and Google Analytics 4(G4) property
Create a Google Analytics account and Google Analytics 4 (G4) property. Both items are needed to configure a G4 analytics integration in WorldCat Discovery.
An existing Universal Analytics ID will not function in place of the measurement ID for your G4 property. You can add your new G4 property using an existing Google Analytics account.
To understand how to create an account and G4 property, use the following documentation created by Google:
Note: When you set up the data stream for your G4 property, you will need to enter your institution’s WorldCat Discovery URL, as shown in the below screenshot.
Attend a community discussion about configuring Google Analytics 4
We will hold a WorldCat Discovery community discussion about G4 configuration on 25 May 2023 to provide a forum for you to share information about effective G4 configuration settings. The goal of this meeting is to provide an opportunity for you to share your configuration experiences and assist other members of the community. Members of the WorldCat Discovery team will host the discussion and gather your feedback about the configuration options available in OCLC Service Configuration.
Registration for the 25 May G4 configuration discussion is now open. [Register now]
New features and enhancements
Configure integration with Google Analytics 4
With this release, libraries with a Google Analytics 4 (G4) account can use the integration with WorldCat Discovery.
To configure this third-party integration, navigate to Service Configuration > Third-Party Integrations > Google Analytics (Beta). Next, toggle on “Enable Google Analytics 4” and enter your library’s unique Measurement ID.
Your G4 measurement ID will begin with “G-”, different from the Universal Analytics ID which begins with “UA-”. Your G4 measurement ID can be found in the G4 property of your analytics account by navigating to Admin > Data Streams.
Once you enable Google Analytics 4, enter your measurement ID, and click save, analytics data from your institution’s Discovery instance can start flowing to your G4 property.
As highlighted in the “Recommended Actions” portion of these release notes, a Google Analytics account and G4 property are needed for your library to configure the WorldCat Discovery G4 integration.
OCLC is pleased to announce the release of six new databases to the OCLC central index. As a reminder, the central index provides content for WorldCat Discovery and WorldCat.org.
You can enable these databases as a search option in the Licensed Content and Databases module of the OCLC Service Configuration site. Please remember that your library must have a valid subscription to these databases in order to enable them.
Please find below and in the attached document the database names and providers for reference. Documentation of the complete list of databases is available at http://www.oclc.org/content/dam/oclc/worldcat-discovery/contentlist.xls
Available in WorldCat Discovery and WorldCat.org
- Brill’s Encyclopedia of Critical Understanding in Education – All Titles from Brill: Presenting comprehensive and accurate portraits of the various disciplines related to critical thinking and understanding in educational research.
- IEEE Xplore Open Access Journals from IEEE: IEEE Xplore Open Access Journals.
- Music Online: The Qwest TV Collection – All Titles from Alexander Street: The database provides access to hard-to-find historical live performances of legendary jazz artists for modern scholars.
- Music Online: The Qwest TV Collection - China from Alexander Street: The database provides access to hard-to-find historical live performances of legendary jazz artists for modern scholars.
- Handbook of Formosan Languages: The Indigenous Languages of Taiwan from Brill: The Indigenous Languages of Taiwan: The Handbook of Formosan Languages Online provides a systematic and comprehensive coverage of the aboriginal languages of Taiwan and of the many ways in which they have been studied. It contains reference articles as well as grammar sketches of a number of Formosan languages, including a few extinct languages, written by leading scholars in the field.
- The Plantin Press from Brill: The Plantin Press Online aims to provide in-depth bibliographical descriptions of all editions printed and published by Christopher Plantin (c. 1520–1589) in Antwerp and by his officina in Leiden until his death on 1 July 1589. It includes references to his typographical material, his correspondence, and the Plantin archive in Antwerp, as well as links to digital reproductions.
More product information can be found here.
Support information for this product and related products can be found at:
- WorldCat Discovery support resources
- WorldCat Discovery training
- Release notes
- OCLC customer support
- Browser compatibility chart
If you have additional questions, please contact OCLC Customer Service by calling 1-800-848-5800 or 1-614-793-8682 Monday – Friday 7 a.m. – 9p.m. ET, or email firstname.lastname@example.org. For support enquiries in the UK and Ireland, please contact the Support Desk by calling +44-(0)114-281 60 42 or e-mailing email@example.com. Support is available between the hours of 09:00 and 17:30 (UK Time).