Tips for editing or adding Kanopy video titles
Use these tips and instructions for editing a global collection. Doing so will ensure that if you submit your edits to the cooperative, URLs will work for all libraries.
- Do not add your institution ID to the URL but rather leave "[institution]" in the URL as it appears
- The URL for an item should not end with its title but rather should end with a unique number, the Linking Key
- Do include your provider ID in Collection Manager in Institution Settings > Provider Settings
The following is an example of a correctly formatted Title URL as it should appear in the WorldShare Collection Manager interface:
The numbers at the end, shown as 459416 in the example, should be populated with the numbers you have in the Linking Key field in Collection Manager (this field in KBART is the title_id column):
How to find the numeric Linking Key
- Visit the Kanopy website. Use the following URL replacing xxx with your library's provider ID: https://xxx.kanopy.com
- Search for the title and open it.
- Click on the Share button under the video.
- Click the Embed tab.
- In the Embed code box, copy the first string of numbers in the URL that appears after /embed/. In this example, the numbers are 459416:
<iframe allow='encrypted-media;' width='640' height='390' src='https://xxx.kanopy.com/embed/459416?v=20190405' frameborder='0' allowfullscreen webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen></iframe>
Note that links will transform when they resolve
Once your links resolve to the provider's platform, the URL will change. The following actions are expected:
- https://[institution].kanopy.com/node/459416 - This URL appears in the Collection Manager interface
- https://xxx.kanopy.com/node/459416 - When a link is used, the system will populate the link with the provider ID your library has entered in your Institution Settings in Collection Manager, shown as "xxx" in this example
- https://xxx.kanopy.com/video/addicted-sexting - When the link resolves to the Kanopy platform, your link will be transformed to include title words rather than the Linking Key