Create a delete local holdings records collection to delete local holdings records (LHRs) by providing the following MFHD data.
- Do not add new lines. All text needs to be in one paragraph.
- Do not copy and paste text from Microsoft Word, email, a web browser, or other sources. Pasted text can contain hidden formatting codes.
- You cannot delete a collection once it has been saved and/or submitted.
- If you have questions while creating your collection, you can:
Review Collection Manager institution level settings
Create the collection
- Navigate to the WorldShare interface > Metadata tab > Collection Manager.
- Click Create a Collection.
- Select Data Sync Collection from the Collection Type drop-down list.
- Select Delete Local Holdings Records from the Data Sync Type drop-down list.
If you have already created this type of WorldCat data sync collection, the following warning will appear:
An existing WorldCat Data Synchronization collection of this same type already exists. We recommend editing this existing collection; however, you can create a secondary collection type of the same type.
Generally, you will configure one collection for each type of data to be sent, making it easier to manage the process and maintain up-to-date holdings in WorldCat.
- Click Create. The accordions for this collection appear.
Complete the Properties accordion
The Properties accordion must be completed before you can save your progress when creating a collection.
- Enter a Collection Name for your collection.
- Select whether you are part of a Group. Only select Yes if you will be sending data for multiple institutions to be processed under this collection. If you select Yes, be sure to use the OCLC symbol/WorldShare instance for your group when creating a collection. If you do not have an OCLC group symbol, contact OCLC Customer Support for assistance.
WMS libraries can create bibliographic, bibliographic and local holdings records, and delete WorldCat holdings collections for a group. All other institutions can create bibliographic and delete WorldCat holdings collections for a group.
- Enter the Third Party/Consortia Name if a vendor is sending data for your library or your library is part of a consortia.
- Select the Original Data Format of your files.
If Non-MARC is selected, you must send a .CSV or .TXT file with additional data to create MARC records for processing.
- Select whether you would like to Remove WorldCat Holding When Final LHR Deleted.
- (Optional). Enter a Description for the collection. The description field should be used anytime there is an exception or special consideration with your collection (e.g., setting up a collection to use OCLC number matching only). The exception or special condition should also be added as a comment in the Comments accordion.
- Click Save.
The first time you click Save, a Collection ID is generated. The Collection ID is a unique 7-digit number assigned to your data sync collection that is used
Complete the Local Holdings Records Information accordion
- Click Local Holdings Records Information to open the accordion.
When selecting multiple locations, use the Add button () to create additional rows.
Complete the MFHD tab
- For Initial Estimate for Record Count, enter the number of records that will be sent in the first file in the Initial Estimate of Record field.
- For System Information:
- Enter the Provider.
- Enter the System Name.
- Enter the Version.
- For OCLC Number Location, select the location in your records from the drop-down list.
- For Local System Holdings Record Number Location(s), select the location(s) in your records from the drop-down list.
- For Local System Bibliographic Record Number Location(s), select the location(s) in your records from the drop-down list. List locations in order of priority.
- Click Save.
Complete the Processing tab
- If applicable, enter the location (Tag, Subfield, or Indicator) and the value that appears in that location to identify records or fields to exclude from processing in the Excluded Information field.
- When excluded information is encountered in the Fixed Field, the entire record will be excluded from setting/cancelling holdings.
- When excluded information is encountered in the Leader or Fixed Field (tag 008), the entire record will be excluded from setting/cancelling holdings. Other control tags have the additional option to just exclude the field that is identified.
- Click Save.
Complete the Comments accordion
The comments accordion allows you to communicate with the database specialist assigned to your data sync collection. It appears after you save your collection for the first time. Database specialists can also communicate with you about your collection.
You would only complete the Comments accordion while creating a collection if you have a question or need to convey information not addressed in the collection.
Click Comments to open the accordion.
Add a comment to the list
- Click Add Comment. The Add Comment window opens.
- Enter a Topic for your comment.
- Enter a Comment about your collection.
- Click Add Comment to save your comment to the list. An OCLC staff member will respond to your comment in the Comments accordion, using the same Topic. Check the Comments accordion after 24-48 hours, as you will not receive an email when a staff member responds.
Once you have added your comment to the list, it cannot be edited or deleted.
View a comment in the list
- Click the Topic of the comment you wish to view.
- Click Cancel to return to the comment list.
Complete the Contact Information accordion
The information entered in the Contact Information accordion is required so that OCLC staff can contact you with questions about your collection. You must add a contact before your collection can be submitted.
- Click Contact Information to open the accordion.
- Enter the contact's Last Name.
- Enter the contact's First Name.
- Enter the contact's Title.
- Enter the contact's Telephone number and Email Address.
- Click Save.
When adding multiple contacts, use the Add button () to create additional rows. List contacts in order of priority.
Submit your collection
- Select Submit Collection to OCLC from the Collection Actions drop-down menu.
You cannot delete a collection once it has been saved and/or submitted.