About automated loading of government document collections
At your request, OCLC will use your Federal Depository Library Program (FDLP) profile information to maintain your library-specific government document collections. You do not need to select the collections from the WorldCat knowledge base global collection offerings. OCLC will automatically add title metadata to reflect your FDLP selection profile in your WorldCat knowledge base and you will see your collections reflected after we load your titles for you. Both electronic and non-electronic (print and microform) titles will be represented.
OCLC will refresh your library-specific collections every month so that both your discovery access and your WorldCat holdings remain in synchronization. The updates will include changes to your profile selections in the FDLP union list of selected items.
Request that OCLC load your collections
Libraries who want OCLC to add their government document collections/title metadata automatically must contact OCLC. Choose the instructions that apply to you:
- If your library already has access to Collection Manager in the WorldShare interface (Metadata tab): Please email firstname.lastname@example.org. Complete the following sentence with your library's information and include the sentence in your message to OCLC:
"Please create my library-specific collections of government documents in Collection Manager. My WorldCat Registry ID is [number]. My GPO depository number is [number]."
- If your library needs access to Collection Manager in the WorldShare interface (Metadata tab): Access is included in your OCLC Cataloging Subscription. Please Create a Collection Manager account. When you complete the form to Request WorldShare Collection Manager, include your institution's information in the comments section of the form, including your WorldCat Registry ID and GPO depository number.
Verify that your collections have been loaded
It can take up to one month before your collections are active and viewable in the WorldShare interface. OCLC will contact you when your collections have been added.
Collection and provider names
OCLC has divided your titles into two collections: Electronic titles and non-electronic titles. This division allows you to make choices in your settings and customizations per format. For example, you can choose to have MARC records for your electronic collection output in one file and those for your non-electronic titles output in another file. Note that you will need to configure institution settings that apply across all collections as well as configure collection-level settings for both collections (electronic titles and non-electronic titles).
The collection and provider names are as follows:
- (Collection) US Government Documents - Electronic
- (Collection) US Government Documents - Non-electronic
- (Provider) The U.S Government Printing Office (GPO)
How to search for your collections
Once your government document collections been added for you, you will be able to view a title list from within your collections. To view the titles within a collection:
- Search using a collection name or the provider name. For instructions, see Search for collections in Collection Manager.
- Expand the Titles accordion within the collection.
- Note that the date OCLC loaded your collections is in the History within the collection. The date is also in Collection Manager > Activity History.
Configure institution settings
Maintain holdings in WorldCat
Collection Manager provides the convenience of automatically maintaining your holdings in WorldCat as titles are added, deleted or updated in your collections. Check your institution-level setting to make sure this is configured correctly:
- Sign in to the WorldShare interface at your library's WorldShare URL. Replace yourlibrary with your library's identifier: https://yourlibrary.share.worldcat.org/wms
- Navigate to Collection Manager > Settings > WorldCat Holdings.
- Set Maintain holdings in WorldCat to Yes.
For complete instructions, see Institution settings, WorldCat Holdings.
Enable MARC record delivery
Collection Manager will output new, update, and delete records as they become available based on your GPO class selection holdings. To enable your institution for MARC record delivery:
- Navigate to Collection Manager > Settings.
- Expand MARC Records. Select Yes to enable record options.
- Compete the settings in the tabs to customize your records as much or as little as desired.
For complete instructions, see Institution MARC Records settings.
Enable record delivery within each collection
- Search for your U.S. Government Documents using the search box in Metadata tab > Collection Manager.
- Click the name of one of the collection to open it.
- Open the Holdings and MARC Records accordion.
- Set Enable MARC Record Delivery.
- Repeat these steps for each of your government document collections.