About adding print periodicals in your knowledge base
Represent your print serials in order to:
- Add print titles to the link resolver to surface them alongside full-text resources in your A to Z list
- Optimize the discovery of full-text resources by using coverage to determine article holdings in WorldCat Discovery
How to create a collection of print serials
Gather information about your print titles
One option for doing this is to:
- Create a query collection for print materials using WorldCat Selection Criteria. Download a file of MARC records. For instructions, see Create a query collection.
- Use a third-party tool to extract data from the records to create a KBART file. For instructions, see Create a spreadsheet of your WorldCat holdings.
Another option is to collect a list of OCLC numbers for your items.
Create a print serials collection in Collection Manager
Follow the instructions to Create a knowledge base collection in Collection Manager.
Before you create your collection, please note:
- When you create your collection, you will see a Sharing setting. Non-Customizable is selected by default. You must change the setting to Customizable in order to edit title-level data such as coverage information. This setting can only be set at the time of creation
- The instructions include the option to create a collection using a list of OCLC numbers. Afterward, you must add your coverage information
Enable the institution-level setting for coverage
After you create the collection, navigate in Collection Manager to Settings > WorldCat Discovery > Coverage and enable the coverage settings. See Coverage for more information.
Caution: Do not enable the setting until after you have represented your print serial collections.