Create a delete WorldCat holdings collection to delete your holdings from specific records in WorldCat by providing MARC records.
- Do not add new lines. All text needs to be in one paragraph.
- Do not copy and paste text from Microsoft Word, email, a web browser, or other sources. Pasted text can contain hidden formatting codes.
- You cannot delete a collection once it has been saved and/or submitted.
- If you have questions while creating your collection, you can:
Review Collection Manager institution level settings
Create the collection
- Navigate to the WorldShare interface > Metadata tab > Collection Manager.
- Click Create a Collection.
- Select Data Sync Collection from the Collection Type drop-down list.
- Select Delete WorldCat Holdings from the Data Sync Type drop-down list.
If you have already created this type of WorldCat data sync collection, the following warning will appear:
An existing WorldCat Data Synchronization collection of this same type already exists. We recommend editing this existing collection; however, you can create a secondary collection type of the same type.
Generally, you will configure one collection for each type of data to be sent, making it easier to manage the process and maintain up-to-date holdings in WorldCat.
- Click Create. The accordions for this collection appear.
Complete the Properties accordion
The Properties accordion must be completed before you can save your progress when creating a collection.
- Enter a Collection Name for your collection.
- Select whether you are part of a Group. Only select Yes if you will be sending data for multiple institutions to be processed under this collection. If you select Yes, be sure to use the OCLC symbol/WorldShare instance for your group when creating a collection. If you do not have an OCLC group symbol, contact OCLC Customer Support for assistance.
WMS libraries can create bibliographic, bibliographic and local holdings records, and delete WorldCat holdings collections for a group. All other institutions can create bibliographic and delete WorldCat holdings collections for a group.
- Enter the Third Party/Consortia Name if a vendor is sending data for your library or your library is part of a consortia.
- Select the Original Data Format of your files.
If Non-MARC is selected, specify whether Numeric search keys (NSK) for holdings maintenance only will be sent. OCLC only accepts a .CSV file with OCLC record numbers (with the prefix (OCoLC) ) for NSK processing.
- (Optional). Enter a Description for the collection. The description field should be used anytime there is an exception or special consideration with your collection (e.g., setting up a collection to use OCLC number matching only). The exception or special condition should also be added as a comment in the Comments accordion.
- Click Save.
The first time you click Save, a Collection ID is generated. The Collection ID is a unique 7-digit number assigned to your data sync collection that is used
Complete the Bibliographic Record Information accordion
- Click Bibliographic Record Information to open the accordion.
- For Initial Estimate for Record Count, enter the number of records that will be sent in the first file in the Initial Estimate of Record field.
Complete the System tab
When selected multiple locations, use the Add button () to create additional rows. List locations in order of priority.
- Enter the Provider.
- Enter the System Name.
- Enter the Version.
- For OCLC Number Location(s), select the location(s) in your records from the drop-down list.
These locations will be used for matching. It is important to differentiate the location of the OCLC number and the local system number in your institution's records. The default location of the OCLC number is field 035. As a result, OCLC recommends using a different location for your institution's local system number, such as 907, or another specified field. This ensures that the correct local system number is identified and used in the Cross Reference file output and stored here at OCLC for future use.
- For Local System Number Location(s), select the location(s) in your records from the drop-down list.
Your unique local system bibliographic numbers are stored at OCLC for use in creating local bibliographic data.
Complete the Processing tab
Select whether to Use Language of Cataloging (040 $b) Field from Records.
- If Yes, the language of cataloging indicated by the three-character language code in the 040 $b of your records is retained for use. When no value is found, then English (eng) is assumed.
- If your records do not contain a value in the 040 $b and/or your records are cataloged in a language other than English, select No and select the language of cataloging from the Default Language of Cataloging drop-down list.
Excluded information for Control/Fixed fields
If applicable, enter the location (Tag, Subfield, or Indicator) and the value that appears in that location to identify records or fields to exclude from processing in the Excluded Information field.
- When excluded information is encountered in the Fixed Field, the entire record will be excluded from setting/cancelling holdings.
- When excluded information is encountered in the Leader or Fixed Field (tag 008), the entire record will be excluded from setting/cancelling holdings. Other control tags have the additional option to just exclude the field that is identified.
Click Save when you have finished completing the Processing tab.
Complete the Groups tab (Group collections only)
- For Institution Unique Identifier Location, enter a Tag and Subfield. This field and subfield are used in combination with your translation table to set or cancel holdings and to indicate where the internal identifiers specified for the shared local system are in your group records.
- The Group Bibliographic Translation Table Status indicates what workflow process the translation table is in. The status is set by OCLC staff and is not editable. Options are:
- None (default)
- Save in Progress - Database specialists are creating the translation table.
- Submitted - OCLC has sent you the translation table for review.
- Being Reviewed - You have reviewed the translation table and sent it back to OCLC; A database specialist is performing a last review of the table.
- Accepted - The translation table is ready to process.
- Click Save.
Complete the Comments accordion
The comments accordion allows you to communicate with the database specialist assigned to your data sync collection. It appears after you save your collection for the first time. Database specialists can also communicate with you about your collection.
You would only complete the Comments accordion while creating a collection if you have a question or need to convey information not addressed in the collection.
Click Comments to open the accordion.
Add a comment to the list
- Click Add Comment. The Add Comment window opens.
- Enter a Topic for your comment.
- Enter a Comment about your collection.
- Click Add Comment to save your comment to the list.
Once you have added your comment to the list, it cannot be edited or deleted.
View a comment in the list
- Click the Topic of the comment you wish to view.
- Click Cancel to return to the comment list.
Complete the Contact Information accordion
The information entered in the Contact Information accordion is required so that OCLC staff can contact you with questions about your collection. It is recommended that you add a contact before saving a collection.
- Click Contact Information to open the accordion.
- Enter the contact's Last Name.
- Enter the contact's First Name.
- Enter the contact's Title.
- Enter the contact's Email Address.
- Click Save.
When adding multiple contacts, use the Add button () to create additional rows. List contacts in order of priority.
Submit your collection
- Select Submit Collection to OCLC from the Collection Actions drop-down menu.
You cannot delete a collection once it has been saved and/or submitted.