If you need access to Collection Manager Fundamentals (the Metadata tab in the WorldShare interface), follow the steps to Create a Collection Manager Fundamentals account.
Verify your collections have not been manually selected
If your institution has manually selected a collection in full, OCLC will not overwrite your selections. Before the initial load of holdings from your provider, we recommend that you verify that the collection has not been manually selected.
- Verify that your collections have not been manually selected
Before the initial load of your collections, please:
- Sign in to the WorldShare interface at your library's WorldShare URL https://yourlibrary.share.worldcat.org/wms [Replace yourlibrary with your library's identifier].
- Navigate to Metadata > Collection Manager Fundamentals and locate the search box.
- Select Collections as the Data Type and All Collections as the Scope. Click Search.
- Once you have returned the collection in a search, perform one of the following:
- If the collection is selected in FULL: You will need to deselect it. Our system will not be able to overwrite the collection with the title data directly from your provider. If you have holdings set in WorldCat, de-selecting the collection will remove these holdings. Holdings will be added after OCLC loads the collection (if WorldCat Holdings is enabled in Institution Settings)
- If the collection is partially selected to reflect a subset of the titles available in the collections: The system will overwrite your title selections and collection data. If you want to preserve the title selections and collection data before OCLC overwrites it, do so before making a request for your collection to be loaded by OCLC. Within your collection, navigate to Titles > More Actions. Use the option to Download titles in local holdings and choose a format to download a spreadsheet of your title data
- If the collection is NOT selected: Proceed to the instructions How to request automated collection loading
Note: Once the holdings feed is set up, OCLC will select all applicable collections according to the data received from the vendor.
Request collection loading
Collection names and IDs
There are many collections in the global WorldCat knowledge base. Use the collection data in the table to help you find the relevant collections. If your collection is not returned when you search within Collection Manager, try entering a root word and an asterisk (*) as a truncation operator. For example: Rittenhouse*
The below collections are available for automatic collection loading:
|Collection name(s)||Collection ID(s)||Demand-driven acquisition collections?||Frequency provider sends OCLC data|
|Rittenhouse R2 Digital Library
Rittenhouse R2 Digital Library (Patron Driven Acquisitions)
How to request automated collection loading
Please contact OCLC Support to request collection loading. Provide your institution's OCLC symbol in your request.
See if your collection loaded
We recommend that you wait until your collection is available before you proceed so that all of the settings will be available in Collection Manager Fundamentals.
The amount of time it takes for your titles to be available depends on the timing of your request, how often your provider sends data, when OCLC loads the data, and the place of your institution's data in a queue. The time for the initial loading process varies from about one week to one month.
OCLC Support with examples.Caution: Once you have requested to have your collections selected automatically, do not add, delete, or update any of the titles within the collection. If there is an issue with the titles selected or missing from your collection, please contact
To see if your collection has loaded in the WorldShare interface:
- Sign in to the WorldShare interface at your library's WorldShare URL (https://yourlibrary.share.worldcat.org/wms [Replace yourlibrary with your library's identifier]).
- Navigate to Metadata > Collection Manager Fundamentals. Do one of the following:
- Navigate to the Activity History and look at the history for your provider. See Knowledge Base collection Activity History for help
- Search for the collection
Configure institution settings
Institution settings apply across all your collections. Use caution as changes might impact other collections. For complete instructions, see Institution Settings.
Navigate to the institution settings:
- Sign in to the WorldShare interface at your library's WorldShare URL. Replace yourlibrary with your library's identifier: https://yourlibrary.share.worldcat.org/wms
- Navigate to Metadata > Collection Manager Fundamentals > Institution Settings.
- Verify that your OCLC Symbol is selected
Collection Manager Fundamentals uses the symbol displayed here to maintain WorldCat holdings and to output records. Verify that your OCLC symbol is selected:
- Navigate to Institution Settings > OCLC Symbol.
- Select your OCLC symbol if it is available in the interface but is not selected.
- Click Save.
Proxy and Authentication
- Enter your proxy information
Collection Manager Fundamentals helps you manage patron access to materials by directing off-campus patrons through your proxy server. Collection Manager Fundamentals will prepend your proxy information to catalog links. Enter your proxy information:
- Navigate to Institution Settings > Proxy and Authentication > Proxy.
- Select Proxy:
- None (default)
- III WAM Proxy
- Base URL
- EZproxy users: Enter your Base URL. Example of a EZproxy base URL: http://ezproxy.oclc.org/login?url=
- IIIWAM Proxy users: Enter the Hostname. Example of a III WAM Proxy hostname: sys.lib.proxy.edu
Caution: Do not include a space after the Base URL.
- Enable emailed reports
Reports will be available via email around the time when files of records have been output and/or after there are changes to your holdings in WorldCat. Enable emailed reports:
- Navigate to Institution Settings > Reports.
- Select Yes to Receive Email Reports.
- Enter your cataloging authorization or an admin code. This is a 9-digit number starting with 100. Only one authorization code is needed per institution.
- Select the Report Types you wish to receive.
- To find details about the content of each report type, see Understanding emailed reports.
- Enter the Email Address(es) the reports will be sent to. If you are adding more than one email address, separate each email address with a semi-colon (;).
- Modify the Report Format and Receive as settings if needed.
- Click Save.
For more information, see Reports.
Choose the instructions that apply to your needs
Manage WorldCat holdings
WorldCat holdings maintenance is available only to libraries with an OCLC Cataloging and Metadata Subscription.
- Navigate to Institution Settings > WorldCat Holdings.
- Set Maintain holdings in WorldCat to Yes.
The collection-level setting for knowledge base collections will be enabled by default. For complete instructions, see Institution Settings, WorldCat holdings.
Download your files using My Files, located under the Metadata tab in the WorldShare interface. You do not need additional credentials to download records from the WorldShare interface.
See Download files in My Files for complete instructions or follow these basic steps:
- Sign in to the WorldShare interface and navigate to Metadata > My Files.
- Click Downloads.
- Use the options to filter the file list. Click Download to download your file.
Additionally, see Download files with FTP for FTP/sFTP options for downloading files and records.
Use collection data with other services
- Display full-text links and elevate links from a specific provider in WorldCat Discovery
- Deflect lending requests (knowledge base collections)
- Surface your materials in Google Scholar
For more information, see Use collection data with other services.