Why set holdings for a bibliographic record?
Take the Update Holdings action to:
- Add your library's OCLC institution symbol to a record, indicating that you hold (own) the item represented by the record.
- Add a workform, an original record you created, to WorldCat.
You also set holdings for a record (and for workforms, add the record to WorldCat) when you take one of the following actions:
- Action > Holdings > Produce and Update Holdings
- Action > Replace and Update Holdings
Note: See Replace WorldCat bibliographic records for more information.
Set holdings interactively
Minimum authorization level: Produce and Update Holdings actions require Full or higher authorization.
To update holdings for a bibliographic record:
- Log on to Connexion.
- Retrieve an existing or an existing record or workform and edit if needed.
- Click Action > Holdings > Update Holdings, click the Update Holdings button (), or press <F8>.
Results of Update and Produce
Validation: By default, the system does not validate existing records automatically. You can set an option to perform basic or full validation or re-set to none in Tools > Options > General / Validation Level Options. The system does full validation for both existing records and new records (workforms).
See Validate records online or offline for more information.
If validation is done:
- When the record contains invalid data, the system sends a validation message listing errors. For records in a list, the system sends a list of errors for all records that failed validation. Correct the errors and retry producing the record.
- When the record is valid, the system:
- For a workform, adds the record to WorldCat and assigns an OCLC control number.
- Sets holdings for your library.
- Adds your library's institution symbol to field 040.
- Updates the holdings information at the top of the record to Held.
- Transfers a Dewey class number from field 082 subfield a to field 092 subfield a if you supplied data in other subfields in field 092.
- Sets the Update Holdings or Produce action status to C (Completed) in the status bar.
- Automatically deletes the record from the save file.