Features of search and browse WorldCat windows
Use the following features of the Search WorldCat window:
- Boldface text is visual cue for currently active search area - The client sends only one search at a time (the last search you entered). As a quick visual cue in the full window view, the client displays boldface text in either the Command Line area or the Keyword/Numeric area to distinguish the currently active search area.
- Retain search check box - To keep the last search(es) you completed, select the Retain Search check box. The client supplies the last search(es) you completed, including search terms (in both the command line and guided search boxes), index, Boolean operator, and qualifier selections, whenever the window is closed and reopened.
- Clear Search button - Click Clear Search to clear all search elements at once in both the command line and guided search areas of the Search WorldCat window, except index selections.
Use the following feature in either the Search WorldCat or Browse WorldCat window:
- Search history list - The client retains up to ten of the last searches you entered in a drop-down list in the boxes where you enter searches. Click the arrow at the right of a box to display and select from a list of the last ten searches you entered in that box.
Use the WorldCat quick search tool
As an alternative to using the Search or Browse WorldCat windows, use the WorldCat quick search tool on the toolbar to enter and send a command line search or browse (index scan). The WorldCat quick search tool displays by default. Toggle between hiding or displaying it using View > Toolbars > WorldCat Quick Search. See Search WorldCat interactively for instructions on using the WorldCat quick search tool.
The remainder of this topic covers ways to customize the Search and Browse WorldCat windows if you use them instead of the WorldCat quick search tool.
Show only the command line in the search WorldCat window
If you use only command line searches (entering full search syntax), collapse the search window to show only the command line:
- Navigate to Cataloging > Search > WorldCat or press <F2>.
- In the Search WorldCat window, click Expand/Collapse. The window collapses to show only the command line search area.
- (Optional) To restore the window to full view, click Expand/Collapse again.