Discover how to select a character set for exported authority records in Connexion client.
- Export records using the UTF-8 Unicode character set, or export using the MARC-8 character set. See more about MARC-8 and Unicode in Library of Congress documentation.
- Select a character set based on the format of data your local system supports for importing records from OCLC.
- The setting for character set applies to records you export singly or from a list, online or offline, or via batch processing.
Note: Authority records can be exported using only the MARC 21 record standard.
Select a character set for exporting records
- Navigate to Tools > Options or press <Alt><T><O>.
- Click the Export tab.
- Click Record Characteristics.
- Under Authority Records, select one of the following in the Character Sets list:
- Click OK or press <Enter> to save your setting and close the dialog, or click Cancel to cancel changes. You are returned to the Export page of the Options window.
Results of character set selection
|MARC-8 export||Unicode export|
|Uses MARC-8 character set
(subset of Unicode characters approved for use in MARC 21 cataloging)
|Uses UTF-8 Unicode character set
(8-bit, byte-oriented encoding form of Unicode designed for ease of use with existing ASCII-based systems–MARC- 8 is a subset)
|Leader position 9 is <blank>||Leader position 9 has the value a|
|Unicode characters that cannot be converted to MARC-8 are changed to the hex value in brackets||All characters are exported, even if not included in MARC-8 characters approved for MARC-21 cataloging|
|If the record contains non-Latin scripts:
||If the record contains non-Latin scripts: