Sometimes there can be issues that stops collections being exported into a tab delimited file (.txt)
When in the Admin site, if nothing seems to load or happen after you have selected to export your collection data in a Tab-delimited file, it could indicate there is an issue with your collection and the metadata within.
- If this happens a file will not be created after selecting Next
- If you try another method, such as xml, you may find this will work for you instead
These are a few things that can happen in metadata that will stop an export using a tab-delimited file:
- The URL is far too long (if this is the case you can change the URL to be shorter, via the Project Client)
- The metadata was created, with some bad OCR data in it
- Some entries have some HTML coding left in the data, such as </br> closing
tags which will break the export
If a long URL is the issue, you can bring the URL record back into a project from Find in Collection > Add to Project. Right-click on the record and select Replace item with URL item.
This option only exists via the right-click menu and not on the main Edit menu. This option can only be used contextually, only URL items can be
Alternatively, you can use the project client to replace a single item in a collection.
If you have tried these options and the xml export does not work, please contact OCLC Support for further advice.