Before you begin
- To jumpstart your website, you need a user account with which you can sign in CONTENTdm Administration and have permissions to Setup Global Website. For more information, see Users.
About saving, previewing and publishing
When you edit website configurations, you are working on a copy of your production style (.css) and configuration (.ini) files. The Website Configuration Tool makes a copy of the production settings files when it starts.
- When you click the Save button, you are saving your changes to the working copy, not to production. You can revert to the last published version of your website.
- When you click Preview, you are viewing your site using the working copy so you can verify your changes before pushing to production.
- When you click Publish, you are copying from your preview settings to your production settings.
Review your website
You can review what your existing collections (or the sample collection) look like by default without any configuration by going to your CONTENTdm Website URL. For more information about the default CONTENTdm Website pages and structure, see Website overview.
Tailor your website
Step 1: Brand and describe
You can use the CONTENTdm Website Configuration Tool to create Home and About pages, collection descriptions, and a global, website header. No programming skills are required, but HTML skills might be helpful.
- Navigate to your CONTENTdm Administration URL.
- From CONTENTdm Administration, click the Server or Collections tab and then click Website. The Website Configuration Tool displays in a new window or tab.
- Log in using the same user name and password that you use when accessing CONTENTdm Administration.
- Choose whether you want to configure your CONTENTdm Website Version 6.x or your CONTENTdm Responsive Website
To Configure your CONTENTdm Website Version 6.x, make sure the toggle at the top of the screen is set to 6.x Website. To configure your CONTENTdm Responsive Website, set the toggle to Responsive.
- To configure the following elements of your website, use the options in the Website Configuration Tool:
- Website header: Appearance > Header
- Website description: Page Types> Home Page (global)
- Collection descriptions: Page Types > Landing Pages (collection-level)
Step 2: Refine your configurations
After your initial configurations are published, review your website again. If you need further changes, explore the options of the Website Configuration Tool, which enable you to configure more detailed global and collection-level settings.
For example, you may want to configure your collection landing page to display a representative image and Suggested Topics links.
For detailed information about these configurations, see Website Configuration Tool.