In Tipasa, you can enable links to your library's catalog. Enabling these links can save time for your ILL staff and potentially increase fill rates for requests. With these links enabled, staff can confirm the availability of requested items.
Enable links to your library's online catalog
To enable your links, or make sure the links to your library's catalog are working as they should, you can either sign in to OCLC Service Configuration to review and update your links, or let OCLC staff make the updates for you. You will need to know the base URL for your library's online catalog, in addition to specific URLs for ISBN, ISSN, and OCLC number search results in your catalog.
Option 1: Update library catalog links yourself
If you already have an account to access Service Configuration, follow the steps below to update your links.
Settings may take up to 24 hours to appear.
To enable or update your catalog links:
- Sign in to Service Configuration.
- On the left navigation, click WorldCat Registry > Online Catalog.
- On the Online Catalog screen, under Online Catalog Availability, select Available Online.
- Under Suggest Links, you will see the option to have the WorldCat Registry generate the links needed in the Online Catalog section below. Enter a sample URL from your catalog in the Suggest Links field, and click Suggest Links. WorldCat Registry will identify your local system vendor and will automatically populate the fields under Online Catalog.
- Check over the links to ensure they are correct. You can test the links by clicking Test.
- For the field Online Catalog Direct to ISBN, select Use 10 digits or Use 13 digits, depending on how the ISBN is searched in your local catalog. Click Test to test the link. A window will appear with an ISBN number. Click Test to search for the ISBN in your catalog.
- Determine if you want to use the link supplied in the Online Catalog Direct to OCLC Number field. If the OCLC number is not consistently formatted and indexed in your local catalog, you may want to leave the field blank.
- If you do want to use the OCLC Number link:
- If you want to add leading zeros to the OCLC search term because your library's catalog does this, select the Yes check box in the Add Leading Zeroes to the OCLC search Term field.
- In the OCLC Number Prefix field, select either Do not add prefix to the OCLC Number, Add ocn/ocm prefix to the OCLC Number, or Add the following custom prefix to the OCLC Number, depending on whether prefixes are added to OCLC numbers in your catalog.
- If you selected Add the following custom prefix to the OCLC Number, enter your custom prefix in the Custom Prefix field.
- Click Test to test the link.
- Optional. In the Online Catalog Direct to Multiple OCLC Numbers field, provide a URL to conduct an OR search against the local catalog for multiple OCLC numbers which identify the same record.
- Click Save Changes.
Option 2: Ask OCLC staff to update links to your library's catalog
OCLC staff can set up links to your library's catalog for you. Complete the catalog link information form, and OCLC will process your information. Your updated library catalog link information will be active
by the end of the business day following your submission.
Using your catalog links in Tipasa
When you have enabled your online catalog links, you can search through your catalog for requested items as a borrower or lender.
Borrowers can link from a staff workform to confirm local availability before initiating a request and can link to catalogs of potential lenders to determine availability before including them in the lending string.
Lenders can link to their own catalogs from lending requests to quickly determine whether requested items are available for loan. For example, you will see the following option for linking to library catalogs.