Discover how to edit fixed fields in a bibliographic record from the MARC 21 editor in WorldShare Record Manager.
- Have a defined number of character positions
- Contain codes for information about an item that facilitates retrieval and data manipulation
- Can be added or deleted
- Appear at the top of the record
- Cannot be reordered (moved)
You can edit an editable fixed field in the:
- Main form field.
- Guided entry fields, which are available when you expand the panel to reveal the available form fields (text boxes and drop-down lists). The panel contains valid default data for creating the field or data from the existing field when editing the field. For existing fields, the panel always displays the data currently in the field. When creating or editing fields, you may need to place your cursor in the field and delete the default blank spaces before entering field information.
Example: Positions in field 008 which contain default blank spaces include:
- 008/07-14 Dates: Date 1 and Date 2
- 008/18-21 Illustrations
- 008/24-27 Nature of contents
Edit a fixed field
- From the MARC 21 editor, find the fixed field you want to edit.
- Click the arrow beside the fixed field. The fixed field guided entry panel expands.
- Update any fields using their drop-down lists.
- Click Done.