Learn how to select a more appropriate class number in WebDewey.
The WebDewey record provides several tools to help you do this:
- In the hierarchy area, click a caption to jump to a record for a related broader or narrower number.
- Search or Browse WebDewey.
- To search, type 1 or more words in the text box at the top of the record screen. If desired, select an index (All Fields is the default index). Then click Search.
- To browse, click the option button labeled Browse. Type 1 or more words in the text box at the top of the record screen. If desired, select an index (Dewey Numbers [with Captions] is the default index). Then click Browse.
- Browse for the number in the Dewey Numbers/Captions index. Click the Browse button that appears to the right of the class or table number (in the grey shaded area). The browse display shows the number in its place in numerical sequence in this index. At the browse display, click a hyperlinked caption to view the full record.
- Notes in the record may give instructions for building a more precise class number. Or notes may include cross-references (via hyperlinks) to records for alternative classes.
- The Terms area may include subject terminology that suggests potentially applicable classes. Use selected words as alternative terms for searching or browsing.