- In the Command Line Search area, always precede the search term with an index label and punctuation (use a colon (:) for words or an equal sign (=) for phrases).
- Access method index (am:)
- Each punctuation mark is treated as a word division. Thus, www.oclc.org is treated as three separate words: www, oclc, and org.
- Omit http: and https:.
- Include stopwords when searching the Access Method index (am:).
Example: To search for URL www.poets.org in the Command Line, type am:poets.
- Internet qualifier (mt:)
- Use the Internet qualifier to limit results to Internet resources only or to non- Internet resources only.
- The system indexes only records containing field 856 with second indicator value <blank>, 0, or 1 as Internet. All other records are considered Non-Internet.
- For a Command Line Search, enter mt:url to limit to Internet resources. To limit to non-Internet resources, enter not mt:url.
- When WorldCat derived and keyword search results include words with diacritics, the records may be sorted out of sequence with words that do not have diacritics, whether you use the client or the browser interface.
The system ignores the following common words in a keyword search statement:
To use any of these words as search terms, enclose them in quotation marks.
Example: To search for the title And Then There Were None, which includes three stopwords, type ti:"and" then "there" "were" none.
Selected indexes and examples
The following table lists often used keyword indexes with labels and examples of word, phrase, and whole phrase searches:
|Index||Label||Enter command line search||Enter guided serch (select index from list)|
|cn=enron corp||enron corp|
|cnw=american journal of nursing company||american journal of nursing company|
|au=bowers jane palatini||bowers jane palatini|
|pnw=salinger, pierre||salinger, pierre|
|pb:thousand oaks||thousand oaks|
|se:vgm opportunities||vgm opportunities|
|sew=gerontological care series no 453-458||gerontological care series no 453-458|
|ti:gerontological nursing||gerontological nursing|
Tips for entering guided keyword searches
- Override the selected index by preceding the search term with another index label and punctuation (e.g., in the Search for box, enter ti=gerontological nursing to override another index that is selected in the adjacent list).
- Search for an exact phrase in the selected word index by enclosing the words in quotation marks (e.g., in the Search for box, enter "gerontological nursing" with the Title (ti:) index selected).