Create a proxy
Add a proxy
In the WorldShare Admin module, search for the patronto whom you want to add the proxy patron.
- In the
patronaccount, click the Proxies accordion.
- Click Add Proxy.
- In the Add Proxy window, search for the
patronyou want to make the proxy, and click Find. The proxy must already have a record in the system.
- In the search results, locate the
patronyou want to make the proxy, and click Add. The Add Proxy window reloads.
- In the Add Proxy window, enter a barcode for the proxy. This barcode should be different than their primary barcode.
- Enter an Expiration Date. The expiration date must precede the expiration date of the primary
patron. If you do not enter an expiration date, the date will be inherited from the primary patron.
- Click Add Proxy.
- The proxy
patronis added to the Proxies section of the primary patron's account.
Use proxies with WorldShare Circulation
In academic libraries, research assistants may be proxy patrons for professors.
Rules for proxy patrons, primary patrons, and library staff
If you create proxies for your patrons, the following rules apply:
- Are associated with the primary patron’s account and with the proxy patron’s personal account.
- Are listed in the Last Issued To field of the item they have checked out for the primary patron (Item Details > Statistics screen).
- Have the same borrowing privileges and restrictions as the primary patron.
- Any bills resulting from proxy patron activity will appear on both the proxy patron and primary patron accounts, but can be paid only from the primary patron account.
- Can be associated with multiple primary patrons.
- Use a proxy borrowing card, not the primary patron’s library card.
- Cannot see items that are checked out to the primary patron, unless the proxy patron is the one who borrowed the item on behalf of the primary patron.
- Can have multiple proxy patrons.
- Can see the items that were checked out on their behalf and identify which proxy patron checked out the item.
- Are responsible for the items checked out and renewed by the proxy patron.
- Are responsible for all financial obligations from the use of the proxy account.
- See that the patron account is a proxy patron.
- See the primary patron with whom the proxy patron is associated.
- See the number and identity of the proxy patrons associated with a primary account.
- Create proxy patron accounts and associate them with the primary patron through the Admin module.
- Manually block a proxy patron’s account without affecting the primary patron’s account.
Notifications for a proxy account
Notifications are sent to patrons when they have bills, holds, schedules, overdue items, or recalled items. Notifications are created in OCLC Service Configuration (WMS Circulation > Notification Policy). For more information, see Notification Policy.
Notifications for a proxy account will be sent to either the proxy patron or the primary patron as follows:
|Bill Notification||Primary Patron|
|Hold Pickup Notification||Proxy Patron|
|Hold Request Expiry Notification||Proxy Patron|
|Hold Shelf Expiry Notification||Proxy Patron|
|Schedule Expiry Notification||Proxy Patron|
|Schedule Pickup Notification||Proxy Patron|
|Schedule Placed Notification||Proxy Patron|
|Loan Overdue Notification||Proxy Patron and Primary Patron|
|Recall Notification||Proxy Patron|
Block a proxy patron
Blocking a proxy patron removes the relationship between the accounts. Blocking a proxy removes their proxy borrowing privileges. The block does not affect the primary patron. The proxy account will continue to remain listed on the primary account after the proxy patron has been blocked.
When an account is deleted, all proxy relationships associated with that account are also deleted.
- In the WorldShare Admin module, search for the primary patron with the proxy patron you want to block.
- Click the Proxies accordion.
- Click the barcode of the proxy patron you want to block. The proxy patron 's account will open.
- On the Basic User Data accordion, click Edit (on the far right).
- Select the Blocked check box.
- Click Save.
- On the confirmation window, click OK.