Bound items are any items you have put in a bound item container so that they can be circulated together.
- Items must share the same holding location as the container.
- Items can be put into a container regardless of whether they have barcodes (the system generates barcodes for these items).
- The container must have a status of Available in order to add items.
- Circulation actions (checkin/checkout, placing a hold, etc.) apply to all items in the container.
- The container cannot be retrieved when searching the Circulation module or WorldCat Local/Discovery, but the items in it can be retrieved. Each item links to the container.
Create a bound item container and add items to it
To create a bound item container and add items to it, follow these steps.
- In the left panel, click Discover Items.
- In the Enter barcode area, scan the barcode or type it in the box. If you type the barcode, click Go or press <Enter>.
- In the Create Item window, fill in the fields. For Item Type, select Container for Bound Items.
- Click Create Item.
- (Optional). To add additional information to the container:
- Click Edit Item.
- Fill in the fields. The Delete Date field does not automatically delete the temporary item. This field is only for your library's information.
- Click Save Edits.
- On the Item Details screen, in the Contents section, click Add Item.
- On the Add Item window, search for (or scan the barcodes of) the items you want to add to the container. Items to be added must have the same holding location as the bound item, but do not have to have barcodes.
- If you search for the item, from the search results, click the item's title.
- In the row of the item you want to add, click Select Item in the Action column.
Watch a video
Create container for bound items (7:11)
This video reviews and demonstrates how to create a container to link multiple items for purposes of circulating as a unified set.
Search for a previously-created bound item container
You can find a bound item container by:
- Searching for it by barcode
- Performing a Temporary Items search
- Searching for an item in the container, and clicking on the link to the container on the item's Details screen (next to the item's Status)
For details on how to search for items, see Look up item.