A temporary record can be created for an item that has not been cataloged, and for an item that is received from interlibrary loan.
Check out a temporary (uncataloged) item
This feature is intended to circulate temporary (uncataloged) items. An uncataloged item is anything that does not have a WorldCat record, such as laptops or other equipment, temporary items, or items that are on reserve, etc.
- Scan or type the temporary item's barcode in the Enter barcode area. If you do not know the item's barcode, search for it.
The only way to search for a temporary item is by author, title, or barcode. For details, see Look up item.
- Once you have the barcode, check the item out as normal in Check out.
Add a temporary item for interlibrary loan book
To circulate items received via ILL you can:
- Add a temporary item in circulation
- Create a patron hold
- Check In the item to generate a hold slip notification
- Check out to the patron when they pick up
- In the left panel Assist Patrons area, scan or type the patron barcode in the Enter barcode box. If you type the barcode, click Go or press <Enter>.
- On the Checkout tab, in the Enter barcode box, scan or type the barcode of the item to be created. If you type the barcode, click Go or press <Enter>.
- In the Create Temporary Item window, fill in the fields. Make a note of the barcode, author, and title, so the item can be retrieved.
- Select an action.
- Automatically checkout item - Click Create Item. The temporary item is created and check out to the patron.
- Automatically place hold on item - Click Create Item. Go to step 5.
- In the Create New Hold Request window, change the settings as needed.
- Hold - To set an expiration date, click the calendar button and select a date.
- Pickup - If the patron prefers a different location, select the preferred library from the list.
- Move patron to top of queue - Makes the patron the first person in the holds queue for the item.
- Suspend (Optional) - If the patron does not need the item between certain dates, specify the starting and ending dates using the calendar button.
- Click Save Changes
- If patron cannot place holds:
- If the patron does not have permission to place items on hold, an alert message appears. Depending on your account, you may have to enter an override code. To place the hold, click Acknowledge.
- If no holds accepted on the item:
- If the item cannot be placed on hold, an alert message appears. Depending on your account, you may have to enter an override code. To place the hold, click Acknowledge.
- If patron cannot place holds:
- After requesting a hold, the item's status and your next steps depend on whether the item is available:
To complete the hold process, you must:
For details on the above steps, see Pull report.
- If the item is available, it appears on the Pull List (in the Reports section of the Circulation module). The item's status is In Queue.
- If the item is unavailable (on loan or in transit), it cannot appear on the Pull List. Instead, when the item is checked in, its status changes to On Hold automatically.
- Retrieve the item from the stacks
- Check in the item, which changes its status to On Hold
- Put the item on the Hold Shelf for the patron to pick up