The usual process for OLIB reservations involves a reserved item being caught and 'held' at the Circulation desk, typically when it is returned.
It is also possible to 'manually' hold a reserved item without it passing through the issue desk. This is useful, for example, when a reservation is for an item that is actually 'available'. When the library receives notification that the reservation for an available item has been placed, a member of staff can take the item off the shelf and 'hold' it. If configured this will initiate a Reservation Held notification to the User to instruct them to come and collect the item.
If you use Reservation Received notices and rotas, you may wish to manually Hold a copy to fulfil the reservation - this will release all the other copies from this reservation.
Hold a reserved item
- Go to Circulation> Reservations.
- Search for the reserved item and display full details.
- In the Reserved Copies list, check the box to select the relevant copy. In the Actions drop down select Hold this copy. OLIB responds with a message indicating which Copy has been held.
- The status of the item and the reservation is changed to Held and the reservations on any other copies are removed. If configured on your system, a Reservation Held notification will be sent accordingly.
When the item is issued to the User, a Collect transaction is recorded at the issue desk.
Hold a specific copy at the issue desk
- Go to the Circ.Desk screen.
- Set Trans. Tp. to Hold.
- Enter the User/patron barcode in the User field.
- Enter the barcode of the item to be held in the Copy field.
- The details are listed in the Transactions box.
OLIB records a Hold transaction and updates the copy and reservation statuses.