Format authority punctuation
Punctuation can be formatted for MARC tag subfields in the following formats, which are explained below:
- Standard formats
- Import/Export formats
- In Amlib go to Main > Authorities > MarcTags
- Highlight the tag you would like to format and select F8 Format
- Choose your option from the popup depending on which type of tag you are formatting
Default Format to be used on most Tags.
Note: Any Tags that have split Authority/Non- Authority subfields should use the Import/Export style of Format
If Standard formatting is set for any Tag that has a split Authority, double formatting can occur e.g. Series Tag – an Authority Series Title but a Non Authority Series Number.
Semi colons may be doubled after the Series name and before the number during Import
Used for Split Authority/ Non-Authority . Allows the correct formatting of mixed Authority/Non-Authority tags. This creates the formatting for Importing and manual creation and allows the Authority to display correctly whether on its own or with the Non Authority Subfield.
Use for any Tag that has a split Authority e.g. Series Tag – an Authority Series Title but a Non Authority Series Number.
Punctuation can be set for a Tag depending on the Subfield added. For example, the most used punctuation is for Subject headings, to include a hyphen between the Main heading and subdivisions. The 650 tag is used for this example.
- Choose Standard format as above
Adding punctuation may affect the importing of records from cataloguing agencies where punctuation is taken from the imported record rather than the Amlib system. If punctuation is added using F8 Format button, duplicated punctuation may result. Check with Amlib Support if you are unsure
|1. Choose a Subfield and Format Type||Subfield||Choose the Subfield from the list (i.e. a to z, or END)|
|Standard Format||For formatting a Subfield which is not dependent on whether specified Subfields exist before or after the Tag|
|If SF Exists...Else||Formats a Subfield depending upon whether one or more specified Subfields appear anywhere before another Subfield|
|If Last SF...Else||Formats a Subfield depending upon whether one or more specified subfields precede another Subfield|
|2. Type the format of the Subfield’s DATA||Before||Type the punctuation that is to come before the Data|
|After||Type the punctuation that is to come after the Data|
|3. Paste the SubField to the list of Formats||Click the Paste button to add the format to the list at the bottom of the Window|
Formatting a Standard Subfield
A Standard Subfield is a subfield for which the formatting remains constant no matter which Subfield is before or after it.
- In Box 1 Choose a Subfield and, highlight the Subfield letter (a – z) then select Standard Format from the list of options
- In Box 2 Type the format of the Subfield’s DATA, type all the characters that define the Subfield’s format in the Before and After fields then select the Paste button. How the Punctuation will display in relation to the Data can be seen in the Format field just above, depending on the entry in the Before or After fields. This example uses <space> - <space> before the data in the tag
- When the Format is correct, select the Paste button, and then F3 Save
Import/Export Format (Split Authority)
Use for any Tag that has a split Authority. Double formatting can occur for example a Series Tag – an Authority Series Title but a Non-Authority Series Number.
- Choose Import/Export format as above
- In Box 1 Choose a Subfield and, highlight the subfield- for example v for Series Numbering
- Select If SF Exists...Else
- Find subfield “a” from the IF box, and in the Before Field enter the punctuation to apply e.g. <space> ; <space>. Then select Paste
- The formatting on Subfield v, which is contingent on subfield a being present is then set.
- If a full stop is to be used at the end of the heading, select End from Box 1 and click Standard Format
- Enter a full stop in the After field and press Paste
- Press Save [F3] to save the Format settings.