- WorldCat Discovery
The following are methods that can be used to help identify the source of a link.
- Knowledge Base (KB) Links - KB links will appear above 856 links and DOI links, and they will include Database: [Name of Database] in the description.
- MARC 856 Links - 856 links do not contain Database: [Name of Database] as part of the description.
- You can also check for 856 links using the Staff View of the MARC record. Once you know the URL from the MARC 856 field, mouse hover over the Access Online button on the record. You will see the URL matches the URL from the 856 field in the MARC record.
The screenshots below show an example of checking the MARC 856 field and then hovering over the Access Online link to check the URL is matching from the MARC
Note: Not all 856 links will surface on a record. When they do you can use the method above to confirm.
DOI Links - Will always appear after any KB Links or 856 links. They typically fall into 1 of 3 buckets:
- DOI Link informed by an 856 field
- DOI Link informed by LibKey
- DOI Link informed by Unpaywall
The example screenshots below are of a DOI informed by 856 field. They show an example of checking the MARC 856 field and then hovering over the Access Online link to check the URL is matching from the MARC
LibKey Links - Mouse Hover over the Access Online button. Check to confirm the URL contains "libkey"
Unpaywall links- If the DOI link does not match the above scenarios, it is likely from Unpaywall.