Signing up for a WorldCat account is fast and easy, and requires only an e-mail address. A WorldCat account lets you:
- Create a public profile that lets other WorldCat users know something about you and your interests
- Add a favorite library
- Bookmark & share your results, or add a link to the page
- Save your search results
- Build and maintain public or private lists of books, videos and many other kinds of items owned by libraries
- Add information to WorldCat records, such as ratings, notes, reviews, and tags
Your WorldCat account
Create a WorldCat account
- Click create a free account in the upper-right corner of the WorldCat.org homepage.
- Enter a unique user name, password, and email address.
Note: User names must be fewer than 35 characters, letters, or numbers with no special characters or spaces.
Once you have established your account, your user name cannot be changed. If you want another user name, you must create another account with a different email address.
- Read the Terms of Service.
- Select the I certify that I am at least 16 years of age. and I'm not a robot checkboxes.
- Select a squares with the image prompt and then click Verify.
- Click Create Account.
Access your account
Once you've established a WorldCat account, you can sign in from any WorldCat page.
- Click Sign in.
- Enter your user name and password.
- Click Continue.
If you forgot your password
- Click Forgot your password? from the pop-up window.
- Enter your email address.
- Click Send me a new password. An email with a new password for your account is sent to your email address.
- After you sign in, you may change the password to a preferred password.
To change your password
- After you sign in, select Change Password from the My WorldCat drop-down menu at the top of the screen.
- Enter your Current Password.
- Enter your New Password and then re-type your new password to confirm your choice.
- Click Change Password. You will be redirected to your WorldCat profile page.
Delete a WorldCat account
Contact OCLC Support to let us know you no longer wish to have an account on WorldCat.org. Include your user name and email so we may confirm with you that your account has been deleted.
Your library account
Your library membership—the account associated with your library card—is what allows you to perform activities at your library's Web site, such as reserving a book, joining a waiting list, searching databases or pulling up the electronic full text of a magazine article.
Search results and item details often link into these online services at your local library. But only your library membership will give you full access to them. If you do not have a membership at your local library, aren't sure whether you have already created an account on the library's website, or have forgotten the user name or password associated with your account, talk with a staff member at your local library to review the status of your library membership.