Upgrade the RFTS
Learn how to upgrade your Relais File Transfer Service (RFTS)
Capture existing setting
Prior to starting the upgrade, you need to capture the existing setting from the machine where Relais File Transfer Service (RFTS) is currently running. To capture the existing setting:
- Click on Control Panel and select Administrative Tools.
- You can either select Services or open service.msc from the run box.
- Right-click on RelaisFileTranferService and select Properties.
- On the General tab, make sure that the Startup Type is set to Disabled.
- Click on the Log on tab and check that the Log On is set to Local System Acount.
- If it is not set to Local System Account then record the value of this account.
Unistall/install file transfer service build
- Unistall the current file transfer service from add/remove pgorams via the Control Panel in Windows.
Note: the settings are stored in the system registry and are not removed when the service is uninstalled.
- Install the current version of the file transfer service.
- Unzip/extract the build to your desktop and run the setup.exe. Do not choose the setup.msi.
Note: If you are installing the service on a Window 7 workstation, then you must right-click on the setup.exe and choose Run as administrator to launch the install. If the installer reports that the RFTS is already installed, then use Add/Remove Programs via the Control Panel in Windows to remove the existing version of the RFTS.
If the installer continues to report that the service is still installed, then follow the steps below to manually remove the RFTS from the registry settings in Windows.
- Click the Start button.
- Click Run and type REGEDIT.
- Click OK.
- Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services and scroll down to the folder that says Relais File Transfer.
- Right click on the Relais File Transfer folder and select Delete to delete the Relais Transfer Service folder in KEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Service.
- Confirm that you wish to delete this key by selecting Yes.
- Close the Registry Editor.
- Reboot the computer.
- Install the new service again.
- Allow the RFTS through the Windows firewall. See Allow RFTS through Windows 7 firewall to learn more about firewall bypass.
Take the following steps to ensure that the RFTS auto-restarts whenever your workstation is rebooted.
- Click on the Control Panel in Windows.
- Select Administrative Tools.
- Select Services.
- Scroll down to Relais File Transfer, right-click on the entry, and select Properties.
- Ensure that the Startup type is set to Automatic.
- Click OK.