How do I get volume or number enumeration to display together chronologically on LHR record details in Discovery?
In other words, how could I get two entries, no. 1-6 (1966) and no. 7-12 (1966) to be listed on two separate lines one below the other, and the same thing for all the other years?
It doesn't seem to matter what indicators I use in the 853 field. It still separates them by the level of enumeration.
The vol./no. data is grouped together in Discovery and the list counts down by year.
- WorldShare Record Manager
- WorldCat Discovery
In this case the year is being used as chronology, but we want instead to use year as the first level of enumeration.
- First, check the MARC record 863 fields for subfields i,k,j, or l for the year value being displayed.
- Those subfields control chronology and Discovery reads those fields first in putting together the LHR record display list.
If a designation consists of a year and a number that is a division of the year, give the year before the number.
- Remove the ‡i-‡l subfield Chronology data
- write the year into the LHR record under ‡a-‡f Enumeration
Here is an example that uses the 863 $a and $b:
|853 21 $8 1 $a (year:no.)|
|863 31 $8 1.1 $a 1966 $b 1-6||1966: no.1-1966: no.6|
|863 31 $8 1.2 $a 1966 $b 7-12||1966: no.7-1966: no.12|
The enumeration can also be done all in one 863 subfield $a as below:
853-878 Holdings Data-General Information
853 Captions and Pattern-Basic Bibliographic Unit (R)
863 Enumeration and Chronology-Basic Bibliographic Unit (R)