For MARC 21 bibliographic records:
- Automatic validation occurs after you take certain actions on MARC 21 bibliographic records.
- Manual validation occurs when you select Validate from the Record drop-down menu. Manual validation checks the quality of bibliographic records and prevents records with errors from being added to or replaced in WorldCat. You should validate a bibliographic record manually after you edit it.
After you validate a record manually, you cannot undo your changes.
Validate a bibliographic record
- From the MARC 21 editor, select Validate from the Record drop-down menu.
- If the record contains invalid elements (e.g., tags, indicators, or subfield codes) or invalid data (e.g., fixed-field codes), the system lists any error messages that identify the problems. Messages appear directly above the fields/elements to which they refer.
- If the record contains an invalid character, the character will be highlighted to more easily identify it. If the record contains multiple invalid characters, only the first invalid character will be highlighted. After you remove the first invalid character and revalidate, the next invalid character will be highlighted.
- A confirmation message appears that the record has been validated if no errors are present.
- If there are multiple invalid character errors in a field, correct the first in the field and repeat step one. If the record is a saved in-progress record, Validate is checked in the Action Status.