For MARC 21 bibliographic records:
- Automatic validation occurs after you take certain actions on MARC 21 bibliographic records.
- Manual validation occurs when you select Validate from the Record drop-down menu. Manual validation checks the quality of bibliographic records and prevents records with errors from being added to or replaced in WorldCat. You should validate a bibliographic record manually after you edit it.
After you validate a record manually, you cannot undo your changes.
Validate a bibliographic record
- From the MARC 21 editor, select Validate from the Record drop-down menu.
- If the record contains invalid elements (e.g., tags, indicators, or subfield codes) or invalid data (e.g., fixed-field codes), the system lists any error messages that identify the problems. Messages appear directly above the fields/elements to which they refer.
- A confirmation message appears that the record has been validated if no errors are present.
- If there are any errors, correct them and repeat step 1. If the record is a saved in-progress record, Validate is checked in the Action Status.