When you update and replace MARC 21 WorldCat bibliographic records, you are helping to improve the quality of records in WorldCat.
If you are working on a locked record and replace the WorldCat record, the lock is removed from the WorldCat record.
Validate and replace WorldCat records
The system performs a full validation on the record automatically before replacing it, whether you edited it or not.
- If a record contains invalid data, the system generates a list of errors. Correct the errors and then retry replacing the record.
- When a record is valid, the system:
- Replaces the record in WorldCat
- Adds the full date/time stamp in field 005.
- Notifies you that the record has been replaced
Replace an existing WorldCat bibliographic record
- From the MARC 21 editor, update the WorldCat bibliographic record.
- Select Replace WorldCat Record from the Save drop-down list. If there is a lock on the record, the lock is removed.