Create a non-MARC numeric search key collection to have OCLC use a simple list of data to match against WorldCat records for setting or canceling holdings.
- Do not add new lines. All text needs to be in one paragraph.
- Do not copy and paste text from Microsoft Word, email, a web browser, or other sources. Pasted text can contain hidden formatting codes.
- You cannot delete a collection once it has been saved and/or submitted.
- If you have questions while creating your collection, you can:
Create the collection
- Navigate to the WorldShare interface > Metadata tab > Collection Manager.
- Click Create a Collection.
- Select Data Sync Collection from the Collection Type drop-down list.
- Select Bibliographic or Delete WorldCat Holdings from the Data Sync Type drop-down list.
If you have already created a WorldCat Data Synchronization collection with the secondary collection type, the following warning appears:
An existing WorldCat Data Synchronization collection of this same type already exists. We recommend editing this existing collection; however, you can create a secondary collection type of the same type.
Generally, you will configure one collection for each type of data to be sent, making it easier to manage the process and maintain up-to-date holdings in WorldCat.
- Click Create. The accordions for this collection appear.
Complete the Properties accordion
The Properties accordion must be completed before you can save your progress when creating a collection.
- Enter a Collection Name for your collection.
- Enter the Third Party/Consortia Name if a vendor is sending data for your library or your library is part of a consortia.
- Select Non-MARC for the Original Data Format.
- Select Yes for Numeric Search Keys for Holdings Maintenance Only.
You must send a .CSV file, encoded as UTF-8. Please see data requirements.
- (Optional). Enter a Description for the collection. The description field should be used anytime there is an exception or special consideration with your collection (e.g., setting up a collection to use OCLC number matching only). The exception or special condition should also be added as a comment in the Comments accordion.
Complete the Bibliographic Record Information accordion
- Click Bibliographic Record Information to open the accordion.
- For Initial Estimate for Record Count, enter the number of records that will be sent in the first file.
Complete the MARC Record Output Information accordion
- Click MARC Record Output Information to open the accordion.
- Select Yes for Enable MARC record delivery.
- Click Institution Settings in the left navigation.
- Click OCLC Symbol to open the accordion.
- Select your OCLC symbol if it is available in the interface but is not selected.
If your OCLC symbol is not available in the interface, follow the instructions to edit your information in the WorldCat registry.
- Click Save.
Note: Non-MARC numeric search key collections allow delivery of WorldCat records only.
Complete the Comments accordion
The comments accordion allows you to communicate with the database specialist assigned to your data sync collection. It appears after you save your collection for the first time. Database specialists can also communicate with you about your collection.
You would only complete the Comments accordion while creating a collection if you have a question or need to convey information not addressed in the collection.
Click Comments to open the accordion.
Add a comment to the list
- Click Add Comment. The Add Comment window opens.
- Enter a Topic for your comment.
- Enter a Comment about your collection.
- Click Add Comment to save your comment to the list. An OCLC staff member will respond to your comment in the Comments accordion, using the same Topic. Check the Comments accordion after 24-48 hours, as you will not receive an email when a staff member responds.
Once you have added your comment to the list, it cannot be edited or deleted.
View a comment in the list
- Click the Topic of the comment you wish to view.
- Click Cancel to return to the comment list.
Complete the Contact Information accordion
The information entered in the Contact Information accordion is required so that OCLC staff can contact you with questions about your collection. You must add a contact before your collection can be submitted.
- Click Contact Information to open the accordion.
- Enter the contact's Last Name.
- Enter the contact's First Name.
- Enter the contact's Title.
- Enter the contact's Telephone number and Email Address.
- Click Save.
When adding multiple contacts, use the Add button () to create additional rows. List contacts in order of priority.
Submit your collection
- Select Submit Collection to OCLC from the Collection Actions drop-down menu.
You cannot delete a collection once it has been saved and/or submitted.