When you are classifying an item that requires a specific class number not found in the DDC schedules, create a specific number by adding digits to the right of the decimal point that represent the specific subject of the item.
Use the work area to:
- Build a classification number incrementally. Type a base number in the work area box and then add to the number as you read number-building instructions.
- Keep the number you are building on the screen while viewing relevant schedule and table records, following instructions in add tables, consulting Manual entries, or checking user notes.
The work area appears by default at the top of results lists, schedule and table records, and user notes.
Build a DDC number
- Locate the base number for the item you are classifying. You can search for a Dewey number or keyword using Basic Search or Advanced Search, or browse an index to locate the base number.
- Do one of the following.
- If your starting number provides add instructions, select the appropriate notation and then click Start in the Create built number box. WebDewey displays the notation specified in the add instructions (in the Notes box).
- If a message appears that no add instructions were found, then click Add. WebDewey displays Table 1.
- Build the number.
- If your number is complete and correct, go to Step 5.
- Otherwise, continue to Step 4.
- To continue number building, navigate to the next number specified in the add instruction or to another base number. Select the appropriate notation and click Add.
- When the built number is complete and correct, click Save. WebDewey displays one or more user terms for the built number.
- Review the User Term field. You can leave the suggested User Term as is, or do one of the following to modify it:
- Edit the term, click Update, then click Add.
- To create a new user term, type the new term in the User Term box and click Add.
- You can also create a different user term by choosing from the radio buttons, then click Add.
- When finished assigning a user term, click Set as Caption.
- Select the visibility level for the built number, then click Save. The choices are:
- Personal – The number is available only to you.
- Institutional – The number is available to others at your institution.
- (Optional) Contribute the new built number to the Dewey editors. The editors may choose to include the built number in a future update of the DDC.