Note: You will need a valid Dewey authorization to access the download page.
Install the OCLC Dewey Cutter Program
- Navigate to Dewey Cutter Program > Dewey Cutter Program download.
- You will be presented with the OCLC Microcomputer Software License Agreement. If you accept the terms of the agreement, proceed by clicking the I Accept button at the bottom of the page.
- When the file download begins, save the cutter110.exe file to a location on your computer. Be sure to remember the location you choose.
- From Windows Explorer, open the folder where you saved the file cutter110.exe and click the file name.
- The program that installs the Dewey Cutter Program prompts you through the installation. Follow the prompts to install.
Note: The installation program automatically places a shortcut icon on the desktop.
Open the program
To open the Dewey Cutter Program after you install:
- On the Windows Start menu, go the folder where you installed the program (default installation folder: OCLCAPPS) and click OCLC Dewey Cutter Program.
On the desktop, double-click the OCLC Dewey Cutter Program shortcut icon on the desktop.
The OCLC Four-Figure Cutter Tables are revised and expanded versions of:
- Cutter Three-Figure Author Table
- Cutter-Sanborn Three-Figure Author Table
The expansion balances the distribution of main entries over the Cutter table entries. The expanded OCLC Four-Figure Cutter Tables are compatible with the existing two-figure or three-figure schemes.
Select a table
Before beginning to use the Dewey Cutter Program, decide which cutter scheme you need. The software can generate cutter numbers according to both the Cutter Four-Figure Table and the Cutter-Sanborn Four-Figure Table.
Choose the Cutter-Sanborn Four-Figure Table if your existing cutter numbers include only a single letter with numbers.
Adams, John: A2145
Adams, Ruth: A2169
Gabel, Linda: G112
Lavoie, Brian: L4141
O'Neill, Edward: O5871
United States. Dept. of the Interior: U5864
Choose the Cutter Four-Figure Table if your existing cutter numbers include a mix of one or two letters with numbers.
Adams, John: Ad185
Adams, Ruth: Ad194
Gabel, Linda: G111
Lavoie, Brian: L395
O'Neill, Edward: On26
United States. Dept. of the Interior: Un365
How to select a table. The program defaults to the Cutter Four-Figure Table the first time you use it. To change to the Cutter-Sanborn Four-Figure Table:
- Click the button for the Cutter-Sanborn Four-Figure Table.
Each time you use the software, it defaults to the Cutter table in use the last time you exited the program.
Use the program
- In the Text: form field of the Cutter window, enter the name or words to be cuttered.
Copy the name and paste it into the Text: form field. To paste the text automatically, click Paste Text.
- Copy the resulting Cutter number and paste it into your cataloging application. Click Copy Cutter to copy the text automatically without having to highlight the number.
Press to copy the number.
- To paste the number, use the keyboard shortcut appropriate to your cataloging application.
For example, in OCLC Connexion, OCLC CatME for Windows, or MS Word, press to paste text at the insertion point.
Exit the program
Click Close or click the X in the upper right-hand corner.
Dewey Cutter Software: Copyright 1995-2003 by OCLC Online Computer Library Center, Incorporated ("OCLC"). All rights reserved. Developed by OCLC for use with Microsoft Windows. OCLC Four-Figure Cutter Tables (Cutter Four-Figure Table and Cutter-Sanborn Four-Figure Table): Copyright 1997-1998 OCLC.
OCLC Online Computer Library Center, Incorporated, 6565 Kilgour Place, Dublin, Ohio 43017. OCLC and Dewey are registered trademarks of OCLC Online Computer Library Center, Incorporated.