When you check in an overdue item, to the right of the Enter barcode box, a warning appears briefly, indicating that the item is overdue; the message includes the option to Pay Bill or Waive Bill.
Record fine for checked in item
- If you do not want to pay or waive the bill, take no action.
- The warning message disappears. The system adds the bill for the overdue item to the account for the patron who returned it.
- The item appears in the Check In list. A Hold or routing slip prints, if printing option chosen and item needs to be held or routed. The Email Preview window will appear if the email option is selected.
- To pay or waive the bill, see below.
Pay or waive fine for returned item
Note: If a patron would like a receipt for their bill payment transaction it must be printed as part of the bill payment process. Once the transaction is complete a receipt cannot be retrospectively generated.
To the right of the Enter barcode box, a warning indicates the item is overdue and provides the Pay/Waive Bill button.
The item appears as the first entry on the Latest Check Ins list.
- Click Pay/Waive Bill.
On the Resolve Bills window, choose an option:
- Action list: Select Pay, Waive, or Cancel bill.
- Amount to Pay: Enter the amount to be paid (full amount owed or part of the total).
- Amount Tendered: Enter the amount received from the patron.
- Payment Method: Select the form of payment.
- Receipt to: Select Select the delivery method for the receipt.
Notes on emailing a receipt:
- Receipts use the email address provided in the patron's record.
- If there is no email address in the patron record, the Email field will be empty. In order to send the patron an email receipt, you must add their email address to their patron record and then resend the receipt.
- If the patron wants the email to be sent to a different email address, you can edit the email address on the Email Preview window.
- Changing the email address on the Email Preview window does not change the email address in the patron record.
- Click Resolve.
- The system calculates change and displays the amount as Change Due. Return any change due to the patron.
- Click Close.
- Partial payment/Waiver: If less than the amount due is paid or waived, the balance remains in the list of outstanding bills shown in the Account view of the patron's record.
- Account History: Bills paid or waived in full move to the Account History section in the Bills tab of the patron record, appearing as the first items on the list of resolved bills.
When a long overdue item is returned
The following occurs when a long overdue item is checked in:
- The replacement cost is removed from the patron's account if they have not yet paid the fee.
- The processing fee is removed if the policy has been configured to cancel the fee once the item is returned and the patron has not yet paid the fee.
- The patron is charged with overdue fees from when the item first went overdue.