Learn how to create a new report for OpenReports in Amlib.
Plan the Report
Think about and plan the report
- What Data is required?
- Is it to be a Table or a chart? Start with Table reports and experiment with charts later
- What elements will be needed within the display? Is the report to be grouped – with a Page break or Continuous?
- Would Portrait or Landscape be more suitable? Start with landscape and experiment later
- Does it need scheduling?
Having some ideas of the layout will assist when using the Report Designer
Start simply and build from there
- Start with a basic, simple report to get used to the Drag and Drop approach
- Use the Preview to see how you are going!
- Select Data Fields from Entities for Display and Preview to check what you have
- You can keep coming back to refine it with Groups, Filters and Order options later
Building blocks to Design – essential steps
- Select New from the buttons of the Report Designer
- Enter the Report Title in the Edit Report Window
- Enter a Group to store the report and make it easier to find
- Open the First Entity to select the Display Fields
- Drag and drop the Fields to Display, Group, Filter and/or Order
- Enter a Filter if certain data only is required back from the database
- Preview to see how it looks
- Save the Report to make it available in Report Viewer, Report Scheduler or Report Designer
It can then be refined to suit if required