This guide provides comprehensive information about indexes used to retrieve records from WorldCat. OCLC services, including cataloging and discovery/reference, use the same search indexes. Interfaces for searching WorldCat include:
- OCLC Connexion® client and browser (cataloging)
- OCLC CatExpress® in Connexion browser (copy cataloging)
- OCLC FirstSearch® (reference)
- OCLC WorldCat Discovery
- OCLC WorldShare™ (Acquisitions, Circulation, Interlibrary Loan, Metadata)
This guide shows MARC fields and subfields indexed for each WorldCat index, gives examples, and provides information about how each index works to help construct searches that retrieve the records you need.
Who should use this guide?
This guide is meant for library staff who use the OCLC interfaces listed to search WorldCat.
It is not meant for:
- End-user patrons of libraries who have public access to WorldCat.
- Users of OCLC Z39.50 access to cataloging and to FirstSearch. Those who use Z39.50 configure their own search indexes when they configure their individual local Z39.50 client. For more information, see FirstSearch Z39.50 Configuration Guide and Z39.50 Configuration Guide for OCLC Z39.50 Cataloging.