OCLC System Status Dashboard frequently asked questions
The OCLC System Status Dashboard provides a convenient way to check the status of OCLC systems and applications. To view the OCLC System Status Dashboard, please visit oc.lc/status. To learn more about the dashboard, please see the FAQ below.
1. What is the OCLC System Status Dashboard?
The OCLC System Status Dashboard is how OCLC communicates service availability, including degradation due to planned maintenance activities or a major incident. This webpage allows you to check on the status of OCLC systems or applications at a glance. The main dashboard uses simple icons to show real-time system availability for each application, including status from the previous two days and any planned maintenance. When you click an application name, you can see more detail about the past, current, and planned status. Automatic email updates when specific services experience planned or unplanned degradation allow you to keep up with the status of your applications.
2. Why did OCLC implement the dashboard?
OCLC launched the OCLC System Status Dashboard to ensure efficient and effective communication about the availability of OCLC’s products and services. Previously, OCLC relied on multiple channels to communicate interruptions (planned maintenance or degradation of service). Some of those channels relied on the very servers affected by the degradation. This resulted in messages that were sometimes delayed or duplicated. By moving all system alerts to a single portal, OCLC has simplified messaging and ensured quicker communication to members. The dashboard also allows you to check in at any moment to confirm the status of the systems you rely on, without the need to wait for OCLC to push out a message.
3. How do I access the OCLC System Status Dashboard?
Visit oc.lc/status to access the OCLC System Status Dashboard and view up-to-the-minute information about the status of OCLC services.
4. How do I know when to check the OCLC System Status Dashboard?
You can check the real-time status of OCLC systems at any time by viewing the dashboard. If you subscribe to email notifications, you will receive emails alerting you to planned and unplanned degradation of services. The dashboard is easily viewable on mobile devices as well.
5. What does the OCLC System Status Dashboard indicate?
The current overall status of OCLC’s systems is displayed at the top of the dashboard and communicates whether OCLC systems are operational, a planned event is underway, or a system is unexpectedly degraded.
- All systems operational: Monitored systems are not experiencing any significant problems.
- Planned event underway: A planned change event is currently occurring and may have an impact on specified systems.
- System degradation: One or more monitored systems is experiencing an unplanned outage or loss of critical functionality.
Less significant problems or events, that may impair the user experience are noted under the overall status in an orange box labeled “Please note.”
6. Can I get email alerts when systems I use are experiencing degradation?
To receive email updates, visit the dashboard and click the Subscribe to updates button in the upper right. On the following page, enter your email address and your institution’s OCLC symbol, which the dashboard uses to assign you to the relevant OCLC data center. Then, choose your default time zone, and select which services you’d like to receive email notices about. When you receive your first email, you will need to opt in to notifications. You can modify or cancel your notifications at any time using links embedded in each email.
Please be aware you will only receive email alerts for significant problems and not for lower severity disruptions, such as slowness with particular applications.
7. Will the OCLC System Status Dashboard tell me about planned degradation for updates?
If you subscribe to email notifications, you will receive an email alerting you when your applications will experience service degradation due to planned maintenance activities.
8. Can I access release notes through the OCLC System Status Dashboard after planned downtime?
When applicable, OCLC will include a link to release notes in email notifications of planned maintenance. You can also continue to access Release notes directly through the OCLC Support website.
9. What if I’m experiencing service degradation that is not reported on the OCLC System Status Dashboard?
If you are experiencing a real-time, operational issue with an OCLC application that is not indicated on the dashboard, please contact OCLC Support.