When OCLC retrieves local holdings records (LHRs) for an item, we will display the "Location" of the item in the Availability section of your WorldCat Local/Discovery.
If you would like to display a user-friendly location name instead of a Holding Code from the LHR, you can customize the display on this screen. This feature is available to:
- WMS libraries
- WorldCat Local/Discovery libraries that have purchased the Availability option
- WorldCat Discovery libraries that have LHRs in WorldCat
Create rows in the holding codes translation table
Before you can use the Holding Codes Translation Table, you may have to configure the following settings, if you:
- Are using LHRs for location names and call numbers only:
- On the left navigation, click Local and Enhanced Content.
- Under Local Holdings Records, click Enable display of LHR Location and Call Number (without availability).
- Have the Availability option and are receiving a message on the Holding Codes Translation Table screen that says, "You are currently not using LHRs...":
- On the left navigation, click OPAC Statuses, Locations and Circulation Policies.
- Above the table at the bottom of the screen, click the check box next to First display LHR with option to search local OPAC for availability.
- Repeat for all formats (tabs above the table) you want to show the location for.
To create rows in the Holding Codes Translation Table:
- At the top of the table click add 1 row or add 10 rows, depending on the number of rows you want to add.
- In the newly added row(s), click on the table cells and fill out the fields that apply to your library:
- Default Symbols: Click the radio button if you want to make this your default location.
- Holding Symbol: Enter your OCLC holding symbol in all caps.
- Holding Code:
- If you have an existing holding library code: Enter the four letter holding code in all caps.
- If you do not know your holding library code: Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the your first and last name, email address, phone number and your library's name and OCLC symbol.
- If you need a new holding library code: Send an email to email@example.com. Include the information in the bullet point above as well as the new four-character symbol and the name/description.
- If you are setting up Integration between WorldShare ILL and Circulation, please see Set up integration.
- Branch Registry ID: In order to receive a Branch Registry ID, you must enter your branch information on the Create a New Institution screen in the WorldCat Registry module. At the end of this process, your newly created branch will be assigned its own Registry ID.
- Display Name: Enter the name as you would like it to appear in WorldCat Local/Discovery and/or WMS.
- Shelving Scheme: From the list, select the type of shelving scheme used by your library.
- Shelving Location: Enter the branch's shelving locations. OCLC encourages members to make a copy of their shelving locations prior to making any edits. To make sure you have no typos:
- Copy and paste the cells into Microsoft® Word as Unformatted Text, using the Home > Paste > Paste Special command.
- Do a search to Find and Replace to find any paragraph returns (^p) and replace with ;.
- Check to make sure there is no extra ; at the beginning or end of the list.
- Click Save Changes.
- Click the check box next to the row(s) you want to delete.
- At the top of the table, click deleted selected row(s).