Why is the title I'm searching for not appearing as the first result?
- Entering a phrase of a title is not showing up as the top result whereas I was expecting it to be shown first
- WorldCat Discovery
This is to do with the indexing:
- Entering it as a standard search will search across all indexes. That is, it is doing a keyword search on every word within the keyword index (kw).
- It is better to perform a phrase search and ensure the search is across just the title index (ti) if the terms searched are part of the title.
- This can be done by using = after the title index label (ti) to search specific words within a phrase. If a match in a field or subfield is found that contains only those words the results will display. For example, search for ti=lord of the rings.
- Use the quotes around the phrase if you want those words to be searched together within the title index. For example, search for ti="lord of the rings".
Note: A whole phrase search in the standard search is not available in WorldCat Discovery. See more information on whole phrase searching.
- See more information on phrase searching
- See more information about filtering search result as sort options also have an impact on what is shown first