UnityUK uses Z39.50, an international industry standard that specifies a structure for searching and retrieving information from remote databases.
It refers to the International Standard, ISO 23950: Information Retrieval (Z39.50): Application Service Definition and Protocol Specification, and to ANSI/NISO Z39.50. If you are interested in finding out more about Z39.50 (this is not necessary for using UnityUK), visit the Library of Congress website http://lcweb.loc.gov/z3950/agency/.
Although Z39.50 is an international industry standard, there is a great deal of variation in how it is implemented. Different information providers may support different versions of the standard, or they may support some but not all of the possible attributes. For example, a provider may support Keyword searches, but not Subject searches.
When searching with Z39.50, your search results will vary depending on which attributes you search and whether or not the Collection (library) you are searching supports the same attributes.
UnityUK provides you with 2 search interfaces, a Standard Search and an Advanced Search.
- Standard search
- Learn how to perform a standard keyword search in UnityUK.
- Advanced search
- Learn how to perform a detailed advanced search in UnityUK.
- Search results
- Learn how to sort and filter search results in UnityUK.
- Merge duplicates
- Learn how to merge duplicate records in UnityUK.
- Save records
- Learn how to save, print, and email records in UnityUK.
- Search history
- Learn how to view your search history in UnityUK.
- Save searches
- Learn how to save ILL request searches in UnityUK.
- Create search profiles
- Learn how to create search profiles in UnityUK.
- Check the status of searchable collections
- Learn how to check the status of searchable collections in UnityUK.