In February 2006, OCLC, in partnership with TCR (The Combined Regions), launched a hosted, web-based, national interlending service– UnityUK. Since 2006, OCLC has continuously developed the service to meet evolving technological and user demands.
UnityUK is powered by VDX, a standards-compliant interlibrary loan and document request management system. UnityUK enables users to:
- Search multiple library catalogues simultaneously
- View the bibliographic and location details of any items retrieved
- Place a request for an item
- Manage the request through its lifecycle, from request to receipt to return
- Manage incoming requests from other UnityUK libraries
- Manage ILL charges using IFM
- Run statistical and other reports
- Send email alerts to requesters when requests meet stated criteria
OCLC UK Support Desk
In the event of any problems using UnityUK, or queries about workflows, your library’s designated contact can call the OCLC Support Desk on 0114 267 7502 or local rate number 0845 267 7502. The Help Desk is staffed from 9.00 am to 5.30 pm Monday to Friday excluding UK Public Holidays.
You can also email at firstname.lastname@example.org. You will need to log in with a different username and password which OCLC support will provide.
You should provide UnityUK with regular updates of your library’s holdings so borrowing libraries know who’s got what and to prevent request being made for material a library no longer holds.
To set up regular updates or if you have any questions about updating the union catalogue, please contact the Help Desk.
A UnityUK User Group has been established, with face to face and online meetings providing an opportunity for users to:
- Network with ILL professionals from other organisations
- Share experiences and best practices
- Provide valuable feedback on current usage and issues
- Learn about service updates and new releases
- Influence service development and direction
- Meet members of the OCLC UnityUK team