- A hosted site tries to open the ILLiad Client, but it will not open, instead showing the following error: "A connection was successfully established with the server, but then an error occurred during the pre-login handshake. (provider: TCP Provider, error: 0 - The semaphore timeout period has expired.)"
When you get a pre-login handshake error, usually an institution's IP range needs to be added to the firewall.
- If working remotely, be sure your VPN is enabled.
- Make sure the settings are correct in the Atlas SQL Alias Manager.
- Try to connect with telnet to the server with both ports to see if either works and needs to be added to the logon.dbc server name.
- Ask your site's network administrators for the range of IP addresses that will need access to ILLiad and send them to OCLC Support.
- OCLC Support will submit a request to "Add a Firewall Rule" for the IP range.
If the error continues to occur after the request is finished, double-check the current IP address on that computer against the provided range. If it's outside of the range but is still within the organization's range, submit another Firewall request for that IP or see if the institution's network administrators can figure out what the range needs to be.