WorldShare Record Manager release notes, December 2020
Release Date: December 19, 2020
This release of WorldShare Record Manager provides two new features and enhancements in addition to two bug fixes. These features will help you manage more complex workflows, including:
- Enhancements to User Preferences for excluding fields and subfields upon export
- Biblioteca Nacional de España (BNE) is now available as an additional authority file.
- Bug fixes:
- The list of Holding Library Codes dropdown in User Preferences / Working with Records did not show all Holding Library Codes. Now users can see and select all Holding Library Codes.
- Institutions that have a hash character (#) in their OCLC symbol were getting an error message upon adding Local Holding Records to label print lists. Now Local Holding Records can be added to a label print list correctly.
Many of these enhancements are the direct result of your feedback.
New features and enhancements
Enhancements to User Preferences for excluding fields and subfields upon export
You can now exclude entire fields from the exported authority or bibliographic record, remove a field that contains one or more specific subfields, or exclude one or more specific subfields from within a field while the field will still be exported. Previously you could only exclude fields, not specific subfields.
All fields, indicators, and subfields can be selected from drop-down lists. In the case of subfields, you can select multiple fields from the drop-down list.
Please note that with this release invalid selections that you might have made before (such as invalid subfields) will be removed from your User Preferences. If you had export preferences configured prior to this release, we recommend you review your settings to see if any updates need to be made
Exclude fields and subfields upon exporting authority records
You can set your preferences for excluding fields and subfields from being exported in the General tab under Exporting - Authority Records.
Exclude fields and subfields upon exporting bibliographic records
You can set your preferences for excluding fields and subfields from being exported in the General tab under Exporting - Bibliographic Records.
Biblioteca Nacional de España (BNE)
Searching and browsing BNE
The Biblioteca Nacional de España (BNE) authority file has been added to the list of available authority files under the data type Authority Records.
Two new scopes have been added to the dropdown for authority files:
- BNE- Browse
Select an index, enter in your search terms, and submit the search or browse. Results display in a results list.
Working with BNE records
You can now print, edit, export, and save BNE records to the Saved – In Progress File.
You can apply a BNE heading to a bibliographic record by clicking Copy Authority Data when viewing the authority record and then inserting it by clicking Apply Authority Data in the Edit menu of the bibliographic record. You can also enter BNE headings manually in the bibliographic record and then:
- Single-control by right-clicking in the field and then clicking Controlled Heading > Add on the context menu
- Control all headings in the bibliographic record at once by clicking Control All Headings in the Record menu.
Note: You cannot create or replace BNE records.
Applying a link / controlling BNE headings
BNE authority headings can be applied to and controlled in bibliographic records by right-clicking in the field and then clicking Apply Authority Data in the context menu.
Authority headings can also be added to bibliographic records manually and be controlled by clicking Controlled Heading > Add in the Edit menu or the right-click context menu.
The conditions for controlling an authority record to BNE are:
- descriptive headings are in 100, 110,111, 130, 700, 710, 711, 730 and 800, 810, 811, 830 fields and 040 $b = spa (language of cataloging)
- subject headings are in 600, 610, 611, 630, 650, 651 fields with indicator 2 = 7 AND $2 embne OR $2 embucm
- genre headings are in 655 fields with indicator 2 = 7 AND $2 tgfbne OR $2 embucm
A complete list of Holding Library Codes is displayed in User Preferences
The list of Holding Library Codes in the User Preferences / Working with Records tab now shows and allows selecting all Holding Library Codes. Previously not all Library Codes were displayed in the dropdown list.
Institutions that have a hash character (#) in their OCLC symbol can add records to label print list
Institutions that have a hash character (#) in their OCLC symbol can now add records to their label print lists. Previously they were getting an error message upon adding records to label print lists.
WorldCat Validation release notes
WorldCat Validation release notes provide current OCLC-MARC updates; changes to tagging conventions and coding practices for Bibliographic, Authority, and Holdings records; and new MARC codes.
Virtual AskQC office hours
Join OCLC Metadata Quality staff to discuss WorldCat quality issues and cataloging questions. Visit AskQC for information about upcoming office hours, previous office hour recordings, and supporting materials.
Support information for this product and related products can be found at: